Parker Hale sight

Drm50

Anybody know about this sight? It's marked Parker Hale #9. Bisley Works.
It has adj. Aperture and glass monocle,yellow. I have been looking for info
on this slight for a month. "Experts" tell me it doesn't exist. I would just like
To know what rifle it fits. Has to be hammer less gun, won't fit Martini. Any
info appreciated.
076fb35190f920ef5aba60ec13842632.jpg
ccfbdb36bad46de81e98d321e0a2f2f0.jpg

From the angle of the mount tab, my guess would probably lean towards a Savage 99, or a break action single shot of some sort. Several European makers made very high quality single shot rifles, often called stalking rifles.

FYI, the yellow lens is for added contrast, which makes me think this is for a target rifle, but it might be for hunting in foggy or snowy conditions.

I thought the PH #9 was used on Lee Enfields, pre WWI manufacture.

According to this, my memory isn't too far off:

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/PH_Service_sights.htm

The pictures of the #9 at that link don't look like yours. so you might have a custom mount for a different rifle. It looks like a tang mount or stock mount instead of the side mount you would expect on a service rifle.

Jimro

P-H did sporting sights on a tang-mounted bracket like this one but most of them folded down. They made them for a wide variety of sporting rifles, including the Savage 99 and various Walthers, Mausers and Remingtons. This one isn't in any of the catalogues that I've got. The eyepiece is a standard target one, usually with multiple holes most of which will be too small. The monocle was usually used to hold a corrective lens but could hold a filter, as here.

Thanks for info. Martini has no tang, I got one, has side mounted Lyman.
Savage 99 not it either, got one of those too, Marble flex tang peep. I've been
to many sites and nobody knows. I'm a peep sight nut and have many old
classic hunting rifles and still can't figure it out. To hi for any Rem 14/141 type.
Contour wrong for Rem 8/81. Has to be something pre war. Does anybody
know who handled PH in USA?

What about a Rem 12 pump action 22 rimfire rifle? I've seen tang sights on my Grandfather's, but it is just a flip up sight.

Wish I could be more help, but my guess is that it's a custom piece either from the shop or by gunsmith.

Jimro

Back