Parker 16 gauge fixable

Mattj4867

Get your socket set and run successive size sockets through the barrel, sort of ironing the dent. When at bore diameter some light taping on the outside of the barrel while socket is backing up the dented area should smooth it out enough you won't notice unless you look for the dent.

As far as safe to shoot....Could not tell what type of steel your barrel was made from, some of the older Parkers have damascus barrels and some have short chambers.

Thank your for the speedy response birdshot. The rib is stamped trojan steel. It is a 16 gauge with 2.75" chamber. What worries me is the slight ring around the barrel. The gun is very tight and hasnt been shot much. My grandfather used it for rabbits and quail. I believe the dent was already in it when he got it. I am really hoping to bring this gun back to life.

Contact Mike Orlen. He is a very reputable gunsmith, and reasonable, and faster than 99.9% of them. He probably has a hydraulic barrel dent remover. Depending on what it looks like inside the barrel - I can't judge from a pic, I would probably just shoot the heck out of it. It has no doubt been shot that way plenty already. Those are fluid steel barrels, not Damascus. I am retired, but I was a gunsmith. Wood never liked me so I just called myself a gun mechanic.

The method used by Larry Potterfield looks like the way to go. I'd take it to a GOOD gunsmith. Nice shotgun you got from Grandpa. Good luck.

See if you can find the year of manufacture. Sometime in the early '20s, the industry changed from an 8 ksi standard to 12 ksi. I have a 1921 Ithaca that requires low pressure shells. They are available, and they work just fine. Good luck and good shooting.

Gunsmith

Support those who support us. Send it to Mike Orlen.

I would call him 1st and describe the dent, maybe email him your pics.

Needs a smithy to fix, but it is fixable. Assuming there's no penetration.
Hard to tell from the pictures, but if it's Damascus(doesn't look like it is to me either) don't bother. You can tell visually if it is Damascus just by looking in the barrels. It'll have spirals where the band of steel meet.

Try the following..

www.ParkerShotgunRepair.com, is considered the premium restoration since 1955

Doug Trumbull, have not dealt with him. located in New York

or Bachelder's gunsmithing , in Grand Rapids, MI

Take good photos and keep us posted, please

Back