Para-Ordnance: Opinions on their quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickC

I am in the market for a new government style .45 auto. I was talking to a dealer the other day about the availability of certain makes / models and he suggested a Para-Ordnance P14-45 Limited. He swears for the money it is one of the best "customized" .45's right ouf the box.

Does anyone own one of these or has used one? What is your opinion of Para-Ordnance in general? Do they make a good, dependable weapon?

Thanks

Rick, 7000rnd + so far through my P-16 & it still shoots as good as the day I got her !
The Para Limited is one sweet gun in Stainless & if you want some unbiased info, come on down to the Para/1911 Board.

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

I shoot a P16-40 Signature (early Limited) for IPSC. Have put 8000 to 10,000 rounds out of it in just about 2 years. Am very happy with the gun. Fit is very good, slide to frame fir with almost no wiggle - much better than my 1995 vintage Colt Gold Cup. The gun eats any ammo & has never malfunctioned except when my reloads have a problem with the ammo. Their barrel has a reputation for asuper strength -- lets me play with loads that push past the pressure limits without any concerns. Also the barrels are ramped and fully support the cartridge (reduced dramatically or eliminates possibility of case letting go at the rear unsupported point a la some of the stories). Have invested a lot of time in learning abou/understanding the Pars. Problems I'm aware of are limited to sights Initially rear and lately front loosening up in the dovetail - very easy to fix. The forcing cones are made small. It's worth getting the chamber reamed out (will bring it to SAAMI spec.) This is quick and inexpensive as long as the gunsmith has the reamer. It's useful because the Para mag is longer than most from front to back & longer cartridge lengths seem to feed a bit better. Hogue has a very nice wraparound rubber grip with finger grooves in the front for $20.00. It'll take 5 minutes to file a space for the right side ambi safety arm to travel freely up & down under the top, rear, right hand corner of the grip. Get a trigger job which should be done on any 1911 or clone. That's it. You're ready to go for a long time with super reliability & no problems.

Just bought a P16-40 Limited yesterday. Plan to use it for IPSC. It looks to be very well made and durable. Will report on it as time goes by.

HS: How do I disassemble the piece? It has a guide rod with a hole thru the spring plug. The manual that came with the gun does not illustrate this variation.

------------------
There is the science of Ballistics and the Art of Bullistics
Yankee Doodle

Many thanks, HS. I'll drop by your site tonight and look about.

I note you're using the .40 S&W. Do you notice much difference in recoil / accuracy, etc. compared with the .45 ACP round? I have fired mostly .45 (and .44 mag, and .357 mag in my revolvers), but I have never fired the .40, so I am curious as to the relative differences.

Anyone else with an opinion on the Para-Ordnance product?

Thanks

RICKC: I have a P-14 "limited" in 45acp that i carry for a duty pistol. Have shot several brands of ammo thru it with only 1 failure to feed after 600-700 rounds.[caused by spring in mag] this gun is very well balanced, extremely accurate, very well made overall. For thier price it would be hard to beat all the features they come with. If i had to buy 1 other 1911 model pistol i also look hard at SPRINGFIELD ARMORIES offerings.

I have a P14/45 Limited and I have found it to be an excellent firearm.
On its first trip to the range I prepared to sight it in, fired 3 rounds dead center. I have never had to adjust the sights. Several thousand rounds fired without any jams or malfunctions.

Thanks 12-34hom and Karanas. I am grateful for your thoughts.

I had heard the Springfield offering was very good from somewhere else as well.

Rick, I have had a couple P12 alloys, the latest being a Limited. Very accurate, reliable little guns, no problems with breakage or malfunction. Only two minor gripes to keep in mind---1) the rear sight on my Limited pistol kept drifting loose while firing. Tried tightening it down, tried locktite, no good. Finally had a smith look at it and he discovered there was no detent under the sight for the screw to seat in, so there was nothing to keep it from drifting. He dremeled a slight detent into the slide and no more problem, but for a $700+ gun you think they would think of something like that before the gun left the factory.
2)This is more of a personal thing, but I thought that for a Limited, custom-style gun they could have installed a metal, Wilson-style competition trigger rather than the hollow plastic one that comes with it.

As a BIG 1911 fan I like them all...

I do not have a PARA however, primarily because of how bulky they feel in my average size hands...

I think it may have something to do with designed for Hi-cap mag stocks...

I would check them all out before purchase...
SPRINGFIELD,PARA,KIMBER,ETC;ETC;

I keep hearing that COLT is going to discontinue there 1911s, and then someone one this forum stated ONLY the small compacts were going away, and that the full size GOVERNMENT .45 WAS HERE TO STAY...
If so it is COLTs best 1911 IMHO, and it is also worth a LOOK...

HAPPY HUNTING

------------------
SURE SHOT

I agree on the hollow plastic trigger comment. In my wildest dreams I would never have believed it. I know the idea is to reduce the weight in the trigger for proper functioning, but that seems a bit extreme, especially in a "custom" gun.

Did you replace yours with an after-market trigger?

I was planning on replacing it with an Ed Brown trigger, but I was forced to sell the gun (among others) to get the downpayment for a house.

I have an older P1445, and the only trouble I have is with mag feeding. I've heard all sorts of theories as to why, and have tried to fix it on my own with new mag springs, even a new mag, but no luck. Will take to a gunsmith when I have the money.

What I do like: Large size fits well in my hands. It is accurate, and the recoil is low. Overall, I think I am the exception to the rule that Para-Ords are great.

BUT, the P14 is meant to hold 14....not ten. and the best prices for hi cap mags I have seen are 100 dollars. But if you don't care about that, then more power to ya.

I am a relatively new shooter who just bought a P12 not too long ago. I was wondering what type of modifications are possible/useful to make to this gun. I am open to anything that will improve the reliability and accuracy (not that I have had any problems) but I don't want to waste money on anything that is not necessary.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by lp (edited October 23, 1999).]

I shoot a P14 in IPSC and from my experience the magazine catch should be replaced as soon as possible. The Ed Brown mag catch is a drop in part that actually drops in(usually). The plastic one from Para will wear out and cause feeding problems. The Ed Brown part costs about $20, Wilson and several other make a Para Mag catch, but Ed Brown was the one I used. The Limited Para is definately the way to go, I wish they had them when I bought mine, it would have saved a lot of money.

lp, polishing the feed ramp & a really nice 3&1/2lb trigger would be the way too go!
Maybe one of those Pierce Grip mag extenders might be of use too?
Also a MMC rear site would give a longer sight radius which would also help with accuracy.
Open invite for everyone with a Para/1911 to drop on down & visit the Para/1911 Board.

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

Thanks for the advice; I'll check it out.

HS: You mentioned polishing the feed ramp. Is that to improve feed reliability? I noticed some hollowpoints don't work well in my gun. Perhaps this would fix that problem?

Please pardon my ignorance. :)

What do you think of the beavertail grip safety or compensators, custom hammers, etc. Is it worth it to consider these types of things?

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back