Para-ordnance frame crack

Cmc

Help George

I have a Para-Ordnance P-14 Aluminum frame that I just noticed has a crack across the top of the left slide rail directly above the slide stop cutout.

I have a star pd that has a slot cut in the same location and I read somewhere that this was done to avoid frame cracking.

My question is do I have to replace the frame on this pistol on the para?

Is this unsafe to fire ? and if so why, as the star pd was manufactured with a slot in this location as mentioned above.

Colt has begun cutting out this point on all 1911s after introducing it on the Delta 10mm. If that is the only place, ignore it or cut it out if it bugs you.

Ditto what everyone else said, and I just want to re-assure you that there is nothing unsafe about where your frame cracked. It's fairly common and no reason for concern, but I would either drill it out or simply cut the top out of the U.
If you don't feel qualified to do the work, a smith will do it for you cheap and it won't take but a few minutes to do it.
(Unless the smith is snowed under, in which case, please be understanding?)
HTH!

Thanks again for all the replies

The crack is all the way across to U , I just refinished the frame and will go shoot it , I may choose to ignore the crack until I do a detail strip again and the cut a slot with a cutter wheel.

Back