Paper/wax shotgun shells?

Kframe

Was at the LGS recently and found new production shotgun shells with paper hulls. I think it was Winchester but might have been Federal.

Why would someone want or need that? Just curious.

Federal. Found a picture.

s7_217802_999_01

The Fed. paper shells are great, very low recoil and good patterns, I wish I had a carload of them.

Paper shells are used by Cowboy Action Shooters. I think the rules require the use of black powder and the paper shells will last for many firings before burning through.

Todays plastic shotgun shells will melt due to the high temperatures of the black powder burning and leave plastic shreds in the shotgun bore.

i happened into a case of old peters paper 12ga shells and i use them for small game shells in my older double barreled shotguns, i just love the smell of the shells right after shooting one at a rabbit.eastbank.

They crush targets and smell good -- my favorite comp load. I don't know if they still use the two-piece Champion wads -- they haven't been available to reloaders for some time.

Paper

Why would someone want or need that? Just curious.
Some of it might be nostalgia. Paper hulls go way back.... long before the advent of plastic hulls.
They roll crimp beautifully.

Pete

i also have several boxs of 2-3/4 paper waxed 12ga shells marked olympic low brass 1-1/8 oz #6 PAWAM PIONKI made in poland. i don,t remember what i paid,but i,m sure it was not more than a few dollars a box. i have used these and the peters paper shells in my remington 1900 with steel barrels and a older charles daly and a older fox sterlingworth(sold recently). they are fine small game killers out to 35-40 yrds and when i smell the burnt powder i go back to the early 50,s hunting with my dad and grandad with the beagles.i wish i could relive those years, what a grand time it was to be a kid. eastbank.

Very interesting, thanks!

Lower recoil?
As a function of the hull material, or are these loaded lighter for use in older shotguns?

the old high brass paper shell could be had with up to 4 drams, low brass had 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 drams. the low brass don,t recoil very much in my old remington double barrel. other than maybe turkey i don,t shoot many hi brass. eastbank.

There is nothing inherent in a paper hull ...making it a softer shooting shell...
---------------
Recoil Formula is primarily made up of:

a. Weight of Gun

b. In the shell....amount of shot ( 7/8 oz, 1 oz, etc)...weight of the wad...and velocity ..../ more shot, higher velocities mean greater recoil....less shot and lower velocities mean less recoil....
---------------
The Dram Equivalent roughly translates to the amount of powder in the shell and the velocity... so 2 1/2 Dram EQ will be a slower velocity load that a 2 3/4 Dram EQ, etc....

Back