Papal Security

skeetman

Inactive
Does anyone know anything about the popes security? Are they similar to the Secret Service? Are they part of the Swiss Guard at the vatican? I tried to find information on the subject online but came up empty. I was curious to find out where the come from, their numbers, training, what types of weapons they use, etc.

------------------
There's no such thing as second place...only the first to lose!!

Actually, the Swiss Guard are from Switzerland, on loan to the Catholic Church if I remember right. I figure the Popes security is the Primarily the Swiss guard, with the USSS playing a back-up role to they, like when the President Travels, USSS is in charge of the security and local agencies help them out

I think it's the court jester uniform that really throws you off guard at the Vatican. Of course, anyone "man" enough to wear that garb shouldn't be messed with.

I remember about 6 months ago one of those news magazine shows did a piece on Papal Security. I don't remember much about numbers of personnel. I do remember that the Swiss Guard are a very well trained and heavily armed with all matter of weapons including full-auto. Don't let the fancy uniforms fool you. Under that cerimonial uniform is a machine gun and one bad a$$ dude who knows haw to take care of the business at hand.

I saw that show, but like you can't really remember the details. I do remember that the Swiss Guard is one of the most highly trained and technically advanced forces in the world. I also remember being very impressed. These guys are nobody to mess with.

The Swiss Guard is probably the oldest existing mercenary force in the world. Recruits must be trilingual (Italian, French and maybe German) and not surprisingly, Catholic.

They are well trained in executive protection and functions much like our Secret Service (anybody who watched the New Year's Mass on TV would have noticed three plainclothes Switzers following the Pope after the Mass concluded). Like mentioned in a posting above, all are trained in hand to hand combat, marksmanship and executive protection.

Incidentially, the halberd armed Switzers are serving their five year probation. I was told they carry revolvers beneath their colorful uniforms (OK, so Verdi's Rigoletto comes to mind). The plainclothes guys minimally carry pistols.

Much of this info is from a friend who served in the lesser legions of the Army of God (a local boy, he protected a mere Arch-Bishop). This afforded him an opportunity to meet with members of the Swiss Guard when il Papa came to town.

Back