Panic in Full Swing: Remington Express Tacticals going for $850+

I know it’s not a popular notion but making guns to sell must be a tough business. Your quality product is expected to function for the lifetime of three generations of users. The auto industry managed to wiggle some planned obsolescence in to cars, but that simply would be unacceptable in a firearm.

Glock has done a good job of convincing institutions and individuals that what they bought 7 years ago, although perfectly functional, isn’t good enough any longer and must be replaced. 10 rounds of 9mm won’t do the job so now 16 rounds are needed, although the vast majority are actually shot zero times in conflict. Wait, now single stack is good... and around we go.

Shotguns sell for more if the beautiful walnut is replaced with black plastic and the stocks are made nonfunctional. Machined parts are replaced with stamped, as the shotgun that used to go through boxes and boxes of ammunition hunting and shooting skeet now see a day or two in a quarry shooting at a washing machine and are then put away dirty by kids that don’t know how to clean a shotgun bore.

I have faced as many real world aggressors needing a firearm as I have met real world cowboy bad guys. My single action pistols have dispatched plenty of game animals though.

But that won’t sell more guns. Fear, uncertainty, doubt... used to sell stuff to people.

Me- I like shooting. It’s a sport I was raised doing and I like it. I shoot a lot. Buying crap that goes boom an afternoon or two... Then stored improperly where kids, thieves or impaired people might get at them.. I feel they would be safer spending the money renting at a range a few days.

Most of my friends here train, practice, and are sober thoughtful people- evidenced by not running out to buy stuff when they suddenly notice the world.

I do think the LGS guys I know look forward to these buying panics and seem to be wearing long faces when there is no panic :)

Maybe there will be a glut of used weapons available when this is over...

Also, as an aside comment, I think there is an "AR" craze. Some of the people I personally know bought so-called "ARs" and I know they will be shot very little, if at all....something like a designer toy or fashion statement to some people :rolleyes:

My big gripe is the panic buyers never buy anything nice for an insane price. It is always a Taurus, Hi-Point, PSA sales special, or an 870 Express. Then 12 months later they’re pissed you won’t pay them 200% of the market value for a gun you don’t even really want to buy.

Why is it never a Knights SR15 or an MCX?

The only mostly empty handgun display I've spotted, covering two different stores, is the local ShootPointBlank, in Memphis by I-40.

Their used 9mm display case was almost empty during two visits.
A few other cases having new handguns in 9mm, .10mm .45 etc were mostly full.

:confused:Panic for a much higher number of guns being owned? Maybe so.

Ammo is the only panic I see now.

Last edited:
It is pure blasphemy to put a Remington 870 Express in the same category as a High Point or a Taurus-the only difference between the 870 is mostly finish-the receiver on the 870 is made the same as far as machining goes.

I do think the LGS guys I know look forward to these buying panics and seem to be wearing long faces when there is no panic :)

I believe not only do they look forward to them, but many actually promote and escalate them. Coupla weeks back I overheard the clerk at one of my LGSs that a particular handgun was their last one and they didn't know when they would get anymore. Customer said "I'll take it!". Before I left the store(hardware too) there was another one in it's place.

Back