pancake belt holster or inside the pants holster for concealed carry

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guy's, I'll be getting my CCW soon. My carry gun will be my Taurus Mil-Pro 40. My question is this, which is better for concealment, a pancake belt holster, or an inside the pants holster. The inside the pants seems like it would be uncomfortable, with the leather or cordura chafing your leg all day.

holster choice

It depends on your build. I've always found IWB works better with a gun with a tapered slide contour. For full size guns, I always liked IWB carry with a Browning HP.

I have a Milt Sparks Summer Special holster that fits my Sig 230/Walther PPK/Kahr P9 and I carry that way in the summer sometimes. I also have a DeSantis IWB holster for the Kahr that a buddy gave me -- he originally used it for a Detonics he carried as an off duty gun 20 years ago, and we discovered that it also fit the P9.

I prefer a pancake type holster, even though I just lost 18 lbs . . . . I also really like some of the Kydex holsters that are available now. I have a bunch of Kydex holsters from Ky-tac and one from Mach2 Tactical and one from Comp-Tac for different guns, and they all work pretty well.

If you go IWB, be sure to order a couple of pairs of pants specifically dedicated to IWB carry, and get them with a waist size an inch or two bigger to accomodate the gun and holster.

I use IWB. I like FAT and THICK pancake holsters in leather. The newer formed holsters I do NOT like. Older pancake holsters did not print or show the form of the weapon. They were more lie a rounded pouch for OWB concealment and included a heavy thumbbreak and three belt loops and a stabilization tunnel behind as well as being made of heavy saddle leather. The new pancakes are closer to being crepes. LOL

The problem with Iwb and the mil pro is it's length. It's short and most of it's weight is behind the trigger guard. If you get one, get one with a thumb break. I don't have one for my mil pro, but it works great for my snub, is the Bianchi blackwidow. I think it would work well given the weight distribution of the mil pro.

Which is better?

I prefer IWB. I have both and I used to carry exclusively in a Galco Combat Master. Problem was I was always fidgiting with my cover garment to ensure the muzzle end of the holster wasn't expose especially if i was sitting down in a restaurant or reaching to higher shelves in a store.

I'm sure no one in our unobservant society even noticed, but I got tired of worrying about it and bought a DeSantis Cozy Partner. I haven't looked back since. The IWB is much more comfortable than the Galco and I don't have to worry about exposing it.

I still wear the Galco sometimes, but ony when I'm not concerned about exposing the gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back