Pan lubing trouble

I just started doing pan lubing this morning and used the barrs recipe i believe, 2lbs parophin, 2lbs vasoline, 4spoons stp and 2 crayons for color. I set up these pans and let the sit on a wet towel for about an hour and popped a couple out. The wax is hardly covering the lube groove

Tapatalk ya

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324667323.201612.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324667323.201612.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 99
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324667337.832780.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324667337.832780.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 82
i set the bullets on their bases in a silicone baking dish. then poor the lube into the dish until the level goes just over the taper of the bullet nose but does not cover the bullet. it will look like you've used way too much. then i let it set up a long time. (until it's room temperature). then i pull the silicone pan away from the lube and bullets. i pop them out of the lube using a dowel rod almost as big as the bullet. i had the same problem as you using the same lube recipe. this was how i fixed it. good luck!

A little anahydrous lanolin will make it stikier , I think .

The census is in over on castboolit forum that using paraphin as a parent material makes a poor lube even for pistol velocitys.

If I had that mix going already I mite try a# of beeswax.

south.texas.dead.I
I meant of there are any local stores that would carry it, like a hobby lobby or something

Here in Coos Bay Oregon, our local True Value Hardware carries it. But this is a small town and they carry a lot of stuff a normal hardware store doesn't.

I know fabric and sewing shops would carry small amounts of beeswax. They use it to coat thread for certain jobs.

Maybe grange stores or farm supply stores might carry it. Get your phone directory out and start dialing.

+1 on Randyrat. He is a great guy to work with and will treat you right. Very reasonable prices on very high quality product.

I tried that same recipe and had similar results. Second time I added more wax and it adhered better, still a soft lube though. Works ok in my 38/357s but haven't tried it on anything else. I now pop the cast bullets into the open holes in the pan and warm up bullets and lube together, then let them cool and punch them out with a home made puncher. Works much better. Joe

Perhaps you just wish to play with making your own lube, but why don't you just buy some sticks of Alox from Javelina for a couple of bucks apiece, and melt them down in your pan?
I've done it that way for a whole lot of years, and it works great. I usually get a fired case that is slightly over bullet diameter to use as a cookie cutter to cut them out of the lube.
I imagine this should work with the silicone "pans" too.

Sounds like a bunch of unnecessary work, to me.. :confused:

Beeswax

My local farmers coop sells it in their bee keeping supplies.They sell a sheet that is to put in the hive for the bees to lay eggs and store honey.Sort of a starter comb.3 or 4 of those melted in a microwave fill up a teacup.They are cheap to,3 or 4 for a dollar.
Another idea is to check for a local beekeepers association in your area.They likely will have some for sale.

Have you tried this?

I use the pan and cookie cutter method and the lube that works well for me is also cheap and readily available at any hardware store. You might not like it because it's sticky and soft. But it should work well for black-powder cartidges. I use it exclusively with all powders in 45 Colt. It's wax toilet-bowl sealing rings. Buy the cheapest ones. Melt them with other ingredients and make your own custom recipe. Or just use it as is like I do.

Back