Palmetto

Joel Harmon

Wondering if anybody out there has heard of a company called Palmetto Armoury? I have an AR-15 that was made by them and I bought this rifle used at a pawn shop.

I just sighted it in the other day. It's right on target at 25 yards but at 50 it shoots high. Of course, it maintains excellent groups. I sighted it to "battle site zero" so I should probably expect this rise in groupings at 50 yards. My friend told me that boat tail bullets tend to travel above the muzzle (rise) and then come back down again as they travel through the air.

The instructions I followed told me to dial the back site to the 300 yard mark and set the front site post to where the "base of the site post is even with the site post well". I did not have the opportunity to shoot at 300 yards so I don't know if my groups will be on target at this distance as of yet with these iron sites. Any comments on this technique? What should I most likely expect to see next week at 300 yards?

Thanks,

Joel

> My friend told me that boat tail bullets tend to travel above the muzzle (rise) and then come back down again as they travel through the air.<

Joel, All bullets tend to travel above the muzzle when fired. This is due to the sights being adjusted that way. You see, if you held a firearm perfectly parallel to the ground as soon as the bullet left the barrel gravety starts to pull the bullet down.

You adjusted the sights so that the gun is in fact pointed "up" some degrees. This causes the bullet to "arc". You look through your sights in a streight line. You adjust your sights so that as the bullet starts to fall/rise (depending on range) it will intersect with where you are aiming.

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

The bullet actually interects the line of sight twice, since it starts out below the line of sight - once on the way up (about 25 yards out depending on trajectory), and once on the way back down, at your sighted-in range.

Back