Palmetto Rescue

Smokin'Joe

While shopping at Kittery Trading Post I saw a Pocket Navy that appeared to be an antique. It turned out to be a Palmetto made in Italy and sold by Dixie Gun Works. I knew that Palmetto revolvers had the reputation of being of poor quality but the price was right and I liked the way it looked. The worse thing that could happen is I would wind up with a nice wall hanger.

1862%20Left_zps4b7b95of.jpg

The barrel address read Hartford Pocket Model in a small crisp font and Dixie Gun Works, Inc. in a larger faint font. The cylinder had no scene but it did have the serial number and the Palmetto logo to the left of the serial number. There are no markings at all on the frame.

1862%20Top_zps7ohqobta.jpg

I wanted to restore this revolver and found it needed a hammer and a cylinder stop. With a little kitchen table gunsmithing I coaxed an ASM hammer to function properly. The cylinder stop, however, was a whole different matter. I had never seen a cylinder stop that looked like this one and DGW was not able to supply me with a replacement as Palmetto has long been out of business.

Bolt2_zpsjerbpt3f.jpg

I ordered cylinder stop #MP0333 from DGW with the hopes of somehow getting it to work.

MP0333_zps23tozf3m.jpg

After much more time than I had planned for this project I was able to modify the DGW cylinder stop to work in my project gun.

20150323_201959_zpsfh5xolt9.jpg

This revolver has turned out to be a very reliable shooter. With a load of 18 grains of FFF Goex, a .375" ball and number 10 Remington caps I have never experienced either a misfire or a cap jam in over 150 rounds. It shoots straight and about 4 inches high at 7 yards. I would hesitate to tackle another project like this again but I am pleased with the results of my efforts.

Congrats on your find! Looks nice and you did a good job getting it up and running!

Palmetto always had somewhat of a reputation of being "poor" but I think some of that is un-deserved. Over the years, I've seen Palmetto BP wheel guns that were, for want of a better word, "junk" - and I have also seen some that were very nice. I think your Palmetto looks nice and I'd have snatched it up as well. Yes, it took a little work but you got it in to shooting shape and it will provide you with a lot of enjoyment.

I have had other BP items that were marketed under Palmetto - one in particular was a double cavity set of mold blocks for .530 round ball. I don't know who made them for Palmetto but they were equal to any RCBS, Ideal/Lyman, etc. set of blocks and cast a might fine round ball.

I had a Pocket Police (ASM) one time and if that Pocket Navy of yours is anything like my Pocket Police, it's a nice lighter weight .36 that makes a nice "carry in the woods" shooter. Thanks for sharing - great photos and glad it all came together for you - now load her up and enjoy her! :)

Joe, That is a wonderful job of saving that pocket model. With your skill did you think of adding a "bolt block" or bolt guide?
I have them on all my Colt single actions.

Dave, The original bolt did not feel like a quality part. The legs were stiff and brittle which is why one of then cracked. After modifying a quality bolt the gun functions properly. I'm not sure I would get any advantage from a guide.

Back