Painted finish on Berthier carbine.

much1

Inactive
Looking for any information on painted finishes applied to Mdle 1890/1892 French service carbines. Finish is very glossy black, hard, and applied to all metal surfaces (including the interior of the magazine well) excluding the bolt. Based on the overall condition of the gun I expect it had gone through a substantial rework, hopefully at an arsenal, but maybe by Bubba in between six packs. Any input appreciated.

Ive seen Mas36's and R35 Lebels with the black paint finish on them so it may be correct for your Berthier. Do you know what date is stamped on the barrel?

Date on Berthier Carbine

Tater - On right side of barrel just past the receiver 'MA S 1895', left side "JH' over s/n. 'N' at top of barrel.

Regards,
Much 1

The "N" indicates that it was modified to shoot the so-called later "N" type ball rounds. I believe this was performed in either the 1920's or 1930's, but there are others more versed on French weapons than I. I have a couple of R35 Lebels that have the same type of shiny black enamel finish as your Berthier, but all the Berthiers I own are blued.

I believe, also, that if you take the action out of the stock there might be a "rework date" on the bottom of the barrel at the chamber end that may help in pinpointing the date of the work. (If I recall from one of the other forums, it will be the month and year.)

Last edited:
Thanks to you and Tater for the feedback. No help on the underside of the barrel, only markings visible are what I take to be St Etienne proofs and the number 5.

Back