Paint Removal from metal

DennisCA

I recently touched up a Mosin I had (the top hand guard wa a different color than the rest of rifle) and didn't take it apart (too much hassle). I got a bit of stain on the barrel bands, how do I remove it or should I even try?

Either being careful not to get any on the wood, or removing the bands, use a little lacquer thinner on a paper towel to wipe it off.
Do this ONLY if the bands are blued, NOT painted, because the lacquer thinner will strip paint almost instantly.

If they're painted, just lightly dampen a paper towel with cheap paint thinner and wipe gently and quickly, or try a liquid cleaner like whatever you have in your kitchen.

Frankenmauser stole my thunder..... Fingernail polish remover...
Nah. I go straight for the good stuff. I keep a gallon of straight Acetone on-hand. You never know when you'll "accidentally" buy an ugly rifle that can't be used until you use a pint, or so, of Acetone to remove the Bubba paint job. ;)

Here's a hint guys. Finger nail polish remover is nothing but acetone. You can buy a quart of it for what you pay for a tiny bottle of " finger nail polish remover"

Doing what I do on a daily basis, my goto is brake clean (non-chlorinated). It's pretty much a mix of every nasty organic chemical you can think of (toluene, heptane, etc) plus it doesn't leave a residue and comes in a convenient aerosol. Just spray a little on a rag and be careful.

More painted firearms

I have a Llama -45acp cheep because it was spay painted black;and a J.C.Higgins pump shotgun.(Sears) made by Hi Standard.28 inch V R 12 ga.with a poly choke.Its has two coats of thick paint.The barrel is not a take down.Walnut stock (not bad) w/pad.Any info would help!!!!!

Other chemicals that remove paint. Carb cleaner, turpentine, paint stripper, naval jelly, aluminum jelly, and I am sure there are a few more. Paint stripper and naval jelly are very similar.

Naval Jelly is not recommended. It will remove many types of bluing, etch the surface, deepen existing pits in the metal, leave you with a piece of mostly-bare metal that's extremely vulnerable to rusting, and requires repolishing before refinishing.

Acetone will remove paints and other wood finished from metal without removing bluing. I did it just today on the barrel band of a 94.

Back