Paint for a heatshield

Sheepfarmer

Inactive
I want to try designing my own heat shield out of some .080 or .125 mill finish aluminum and mill it on my CNC. Does anyone know what primer and paint to use? I want a flat black. Thanks

I don't really know. The only barrel heat shields I have personal experience with have an internal metal shield with plastic or wood where the shooter's hand might make contact.

Most of the easily available information on heat shields is related to automotive applications and the requirements seem to be slightly different than heat shields for firearms.

IIRC, Lowes/HD folks should carry a paint designed for woodstoves (at least in colder climes). That would work

This is a thrown together design with slots instead of round holes. I will refine the cut file before cutting it on the CNC. I guess it couldn't hurt to try one made of aluminum. Thanks for the help with the paint!

Attachments

• heat shield 1.jpg
    heat shield 1.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 45
Ok I tried my pattern on a small piece of .080 aluminum and sprayed with some Derusto heat resistant paint. Now I'll bring the shotgun here to the shop, carefully measure it and design one to fit. I just have to figure the best way to roll the metal small enough to fit the barrel and stand off it about 1/8".

Attachments

• downsized_0202161638.jpg
    downsized_0202161638.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Thanks John
Not sure, but I'll give it a whirl. I'm thinking that the smaller holes in the center may cause a problem with that. If so, I will just eliminate them and possibly lengthen the angled ones on the sides just a tad. I'll post photos when it'd done.

I'm hazy on this though sometime in the past, while doing a search for something else, I seem to recall seeing information about painting aluminum. It was suggested to do sort of an acid wash, essentially a vinegar solution to remove deep seated corrosion for better paint adhesion.
A google search for prepping aluminum to paint, or something similar should be helpful.
You might also look at the feasibility of anodising.

The standard primer for aircraft aluminum was zinc/chromate. Kind
of a yellowish-greenish color. Been a long time, but I don't remember
any surface prep other than clean and grease free.

Anodizing or hard anodizing would be a good choice.

Some people like barbecue grill paint or high-temperature engine paint for their guns.

Powdercoat would also be an option.

Back