Paddle? S.O.B.? Need alternative to my IWB holster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWM

Hello. I currently carry my Kahr K40 in a Blade-Tech IWB holster and that is relatively comfortable. However, for those times that I am not wearing oversized jeans, I need an alternative for this pistol. I am thinking about either a paddle holster or small-of-back holster.

Any suggestions on which I should get? Which is the most concealable if not equal in that regard?

Thanks for any input.

DWM

The only thing I like better than a GOOD IWB holster is a GOOD paddle holster! I've never even tried a small-of-back because of the perceived danger to my spine if I ever took an impact there and I'm a stickler for having one of my arms in a natural cover position for the gun in crowded situations.

I personally prefer the open top paddle holsters with a tension screw. I like the DeSantis Pro-Fed for big stuff and competition but I like the Galco Firm paddle for lighter models (and big stuff too). There are others that are just as nice.

One thing I like about the DeSantis is the carry angle adjustment. You can use it strong side or crossdraw. The thing I like about all paddles is the easy on/off and infinite holster position with or without a belt. VERSATILE!

Mikey

This may seem a little weird, the fact that I am not going to say you should spend a $1000.00 on a custom piece of leather.

I would have you look at Bianchi's line of accumold holsters. Price is right and they are very functional.

------------------
"By His stripes we are healed..."

PeterGunn

I second the motion to test out the paddle system. It seems that your carry method works fine, just not all the time. With the paddle, you can also retain most of your muscle memory.

I have gone through several holsters over the years searching for that perfect combination of convenience, stability, durability, and COMFORT. I decided to try the Kramer MSP paddle holster over a year ago (for my USP/C .40) and it is the only holster I will ever use from now on. It is rock solid on the belt, has a detachable snap loop that snaps around the belt to prevent the holster from coming out of the pants during the draw (unnecessary with this particular brand), and the workmanship is beyond reproach. Also it holds the pistol in tight to my side (unlike many other paddles I've tried). It is also the most comfortable holster I've worn to date.

Has anyone ever used a Blade-Tech paddle holster? I absolutely swear by their IWB because of its minimal width, yet strong gun retention. As I stated above, it's also pretty comfortable.

I had a DeSantis belt scabbard for my Glock26, but almost NEVER used it because it held the gun nearly 1" away from my body and therefore printed even under a heavy sweatshirt.

The Kramer MSP paddle looks great, but more expensive at $108. Between the Blade-Tech, Kramer or whatever brand, THE deciding factor would be which one holds the gun closest to my body. My frame is small (132 lbs./29"waist) and so I have no extra bulk to help conceal a wide holster.

Thanks for your comments and any additional ones. They're very much appreciated.

David

[This message has been edited by DWM (edited September 23, 1999).]

Guys - Consider this:

The most import choice to make after you buy the gun and load it - is how to pack it. This is the Saddle your putting on your horse.
Why spend the money to get the ultimate handgun - and then pack it in a crappy POS?
Get the best you can... Many outfits make GREAT stuff that doesnt cost very much at all - you spend 800 on the gun but balk at 80 for the rig?

Galco Concealable is a good choice - and it doesnt cost that much... Other firms make similar units...
Dont look for the cheapest... look for whats going to work for you the best and then look for the best deal on that.

------------------
"There is no limit to stupidity. Space itself is said to be bounded by its own curvature, but stupidity continues beyond infinity."
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Finally someone (George Hill) recommended a good type of concealable holster (pun intended). I've never been able to find a deep concealable paddle holster. Wilson's Tigershark comes close. It stay secure on the belt on the draw, but because of the nature of the paddle, they all stick out too far. I wouldn't wear the SOB style because of the feared spine injury and they're so uncomfortable when sitting down. A pan cake style (Galco concealable, Wilson's Lo Profile at $66, etc.) are comfortable, easy to draw from seated position, fast, and easily concealed.

DWM, I use the Blade-Tech paddle to carry a fat ol' G30, and it conceals wonderfully (doesn't print through jacket). I keep it in the right kidney area. It and the gun are both all black so even when the wind blows the jacket wide open (every day here), you can't see it. The holster is extremely secure with the opposing "tooth" up under the belt, and this tooth is adjustable to three different positions. The retention is also adjustable by screw. There is none better.

I like the pancake style of holster as well. I have a Galco Concealable for my Colt Compact. I would love to have one for my K9, but they don't offer one. A less expensive alternative is the Dillon pancake. It's $30.00 cheaper but is still of good quality. Not quite a concealable, but at least they make it for the Kahr.

I only use a paddle holster for concealment under a coat. They work well in this role.

Hope I didn't sound cheap or penny-pinching in my above posts. ;) I've absolutely spared no expense with my handguns and ammo. I've spent thousands as most gun enthusiasts have. I don't mind paying $100+ for an excellent paddle or pancake holster. I simply want the most concealable, quality paddle/pancake holster there is. If that is a $108 holster, fine. If I can get the same quality and concealment for $50, then why not do that. ;)

David

[This message has been edited by DWM (edited September 24, 1999).]

I agree. Hence the mention of the Dillon holster. I was bit skeptical at first, but once I used the holster, I found it to conceal quite well. They aren't quite as well finished as others, but they function just fine.

Of course, there is the "pride of ownership" issue to think about. I love to show off my many holsters from Lou Alessi, Milt Sparks, Galco... Sometimes I buy one just because I want it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back