Paddle holsters

SA Scott

Having read many of the recent holster posts, and tried several styles myself (IWB, SOB, shoulder, paddle) I've decided a paddle works best for me (based on cheap Sidekick & FOBUS), as comfort and convenience are important, and I don't have a lot of belt room (stocky, 5'9", 240 lbs., lovingly cultivated spare tire I keep telling myself I'll unload). :rolleyes:

I'd like feedback on the options I'm considering for a 1911 (Springfield Ultra Compact or maybe Champion). Light weight and cant adjustability are pluses.

-Galco Pro or Concealed Carry Paddle
-Safariland 5181
-Wilson Tigershark (sharkskin?)
-BladeTech Paddle
-Pierside Paddle

I like Galco's removable holster concept. The Tigershark looks like a really good holster but doesn't appear to be cant adjustable. I've never used kydex, but the light weight of FOBUS plastic is nice.

General observations/experiences? Does anyone else make kydex paddles? Any suggestions I haven't mentioned?

Thanks,

SA Scott

The only one of those mentioned that I have tried is the Safariland 5181 , I used it with a Glock 21 and really liked it . Good luck , Mike...

SA Scott:
The Galco, Safariland, Wilson, Blade Tech are all good holsters. I'm not familiar with the Pierside. The Safariland and the Wilson Tigershark are basically the same holsters, both designed by Bill Rogers, the ex-FBI agent. The Tigershark comes in cowhide ($90) and sharkskin ($115). The angle of cant is fixed. The Blade Tech is of course in kydex (I believe cost about $75). I don't like the Fobus's inferior materials and workmanship, plus they are ugly. Kydex holsters are really fast, much faster draw speed than any leather. I've been using Talon Tactical Kydex paddle holsters by Mike Benedict, he's an IDPA Master, so he knows about building carry holsters. He made paddle holsters for my 1911, Hi Power and Kimber Compact. They very comfortable, and concealable. They are far more comfortable than the Wilson/Safariland. His holsters are $45. Check out some samples at the website below, although he doesn't have pictures of the paddle yet.
"http://www.ohio.net/~mjb/index~1.htm"

I've used the Safariland 5181. What I don't like about it is the belt retention clip. I have a lot of trouble getting it on and getting it off. Maybe its just me. Other than that, it works great with a full frame .45.

My favorite paddle holster is the Kramer MSP Paddle in horsehide. A great holster. Very lightweight, very comfortable, but not cant adjustable.

I don't have experience with the Blade-Tech paddle, but I just bought one of their IWB holsters and if I were in the market for a paddle, I'd definitely take a look at theirs.

pbash,
The easiest way to remove the 5181 (and also the Wilson Tigershark) is to grab the holster down near the bottom/muzzle end, tilt it out away from your body using the top part of the holster as the pivot point, when the belt clip clears the belt, pull the holster up and that should be it.

I have a Galco Firm Paddle for my OACP. The Concealed Paddle should work just as well.

I have 5181's for several of my guns and I really like them all. They aren't the most concealable, but they all work well.

Another paddle design that really works well is the DeSantis N67 Nypad. I have one for my Kahr K9 and it is the best paddle style holster that I've ever tried.

http://www.desantisholster.com/catalog/styleN67.htm

[This message has been edited by DMSC (edited January 28, 2000).]

If you like the "easy on/easy off" convenience of a paddle holster, you ought to at least consider Alessi's CQC-S. It's snap arrangement makes for easy on/off, while being more secure and stable on the belt than paddle holsters. You can see a picture (and order one) at www.rfholsters.com

Rosco

Aaargh! This is awful! I've looked at everything suggested, and I like them all. I agree with previous posts that holster selection is perhaps even more demanding than finding a weapon... :(

I could easily spend $500 on your recommendations, in addition to what I've already spent on holsters I didn't like.

Perhaps I need to buy one holster in leather and one in kydex...but which? :confused:

Thanks for all the feedback,

Scott

I wear one of my Kydex paddle holsters every day and at least to me paddles are comfortable, fast and secure. I try to make purchasing one of my Talon Holsters as easy as possible.
If you have any problems with one of my holsters just send it back and I'll fix it or make you a new one. Even if you just don't like the cant.

Mike

BVT:

A Bianchi Pistol Pocket with the single wide belt loop was the first "serious" holster I ever bought. Trying to carry a Para-Ordnance P-13 in it, the gun would pull out & over the belt line if I sat or moved too aggressively. For a slimmer profile pistol it's probably alright, but that experience is the main reason I don't care for IWB as a carry method.

SA Scott,
I use a Galco CCP for my Glock 22, and the fit & finish is excellent. You can also loose the screw in the back, and adjust the angle for cross-draw etc.
Hope this helps,
Cowboy

I found another great paddle holster over the weekend! :D

I decided on Friday that I didn't want to use one of my Officers ACP holsters to carry my Commander (new gun that I haven't ordered any leather for) at Sunday's IDPA match. I went a looking at several of the gun shops in my area.

What I settled on was a Safariland 560 paddle. It's not really a universal holster, but each version will accommodate several different models/brands of guns.

I was totally shocked at how well this holster worked! It's much more comfortable than any other paddle holster I've owned. That's due to the large paddle that it has.

I ended up carrying my Commander all weekend in this holster and I'm really happy with it! :)

[This message has been edited by DMSC (edited February 07, 2000).]

DMSC:

How much did you pay? Is the cant angle adjustable? What is the holster/paddle material? I saw this unit on SL's "holsters.com" website, but wasn't clear on some of these questions. I may get one if the price is right.

Note to everybody: I have ordered on of Mike Benedict's Talon Tactical rigs. Mike has been very responsive and sounds very knowledgeable. I'm eager to try it. :cool:

SA Scott

SA Scott,

I paid $58.00 including tax.

No, the cant isn't adjustable, but it does come with the hardware to space the holster out from your body. It has 1/4" and 1/2" spacers. I have a 1/4" spacer in the front and no spacer in the rear to pull the gun butt in to my body. You can get a belt mount to replace the paddel and I think it is adjustable for cant.

The paddle is Safarilaminate, I think. The holster appears to be made of lamiante and leather sewn together.

[This message has been edited by DMSC (edited February 07, 2000).]

Back