Packs, vests, and frames

yoippari

I am shopping around for some kind of pack. Ideally It would have space in the front for easy access to food, water, ammunition, any scent cover sprays, whatever. It would also need space in or on the back to carry any tools needed and meat. Of course I am forgetting things but you get the idea. As for where I would use it, I mostly walk (as opposed to sitting in a stand) and at least this year in the coastal range in oregon. So I would be going through semi-thick underbrush and through clear cuts. I am not htat hardcore of a hunter, but I don't believe in buying cheap products that will have to be replaced, if it will last spending more on a quality pack is worth it.

Now since I bought my first rifle which is a military surplus 8mm I figure, why not military packs. I did some digging and found that it is actually called webbing and similar but I think seperate just assault vests. I found one that looks like it meets my criteria. It is made by Web-Tex in england. http://www.web-tex.co.uk/assault_vests_chest_rigs.asp The top three vests are what I am looking at.
the prices are:
95 GPB = 165 USD
75=130
65=113

They don't have a distributer in the us but my brother is in New Zealand and could pick one up before he leaves in march. Unfortunately the only one they have listed on their website is the "Web-tex Classic Assault vest" but it is only 96 USD. That does not include the water bladder or side pouch that I would add onto it.

My questions are basicly: would this be suitable for a hunting rig? My dad has an aluminum frame that has good weight distribution but I want to get my own. If these vests won't work will a PLCE webbing thing work or am I really stuck with frames and the like? What pack do you use when hunting big game?

I am not limiting myself to this company or to military vests, this is just what I have found so far.

Those appear to be chest packs or vests only, and every frame pack I've ever seen is a backpack. Assuming that you'd be interested in a backpack as well, I'm a big fan of Kelty and North Face. Both make both internal and external frame packs in a wide variety of configurations, and the better ones in both are pricey. Check REI as they will probably have the greatest assortment and the best prices. One thing I can tell you is to consider comfort as #1 in importance. A pack that's slightly uncomfortable or unbalanced in the beginning will be absolutely miserable after several miles. Don't even consider a pack that doesn't have a well padded hip belt. The bulk of the weight should be on your hips, and not your shoulders. It's been my experience that military stuff doesn't consider comfort as all that important.

"...to carry any tools needed and meat."

Up until my legs started getting old, I wuz a walking hunter. Many days of over a dozen miles in desert mountain country. Mid day temperatures up to 80, after freezing at daylight.

I "watered up" before leaving camp. If I was gonna hunt well away from any jeep trail, I had an external frame backback and several garbage bags. The only tool I'd carry was a small folding saw. I only did it one time, but I did butcher out one good-sized buck "way back yonder". I carried out the hams, backstraps and horns. By the time I got all that out, I was "plumb whupped".

Most of the time I just used an old Boy Scout pack. Carried some munchies, rope, hunting knife. Had space for outer clothing, removed as the day warmed up.

The less you can carry, the better off you are. The key word is "essentials", not "comfy". :)

Art

Back