Packing a heater on an airplane...

Benton Quest

Can anyone out there relate the FAA regs on getting a handgun into baggage on a domestic flight? Specifically, I am getting ready to split to Florida for a vacation, flying TWA, and thought I'd take a rod along for piece of mind. Could someone walk me through the process, as far as type of carry case, does ammo go in a separate bag and so forth.

Also, any Florida LEO's out there...what's the statutes on out of state commissions? I am a LEO from Missouri, but will not be on official business.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Any help would be appreciated.

Benton,

This last time I flew with a handgun was about six months ago. I have flown many times with firearms.

Rules:

Unloaded in a hard case, lockable.

Ammunition in original factory containers.

No more than 11 pounds.

Ammunition may have to be separate from the gun (some guys are concerned some not, same airlines....)

When you are checking your luggage, tell the clerk that you have unloaded firearms to declare in your luggage.

He may or may not ask to verify that they are unloaded. Be prepared to show that they are.

He will give you a tag declaring that the firearms are unloaded. after it is signed it goes inside the box they can not hang a steal me sign on the outside anymore, that is illegal.

I have had only one problem with theft all the times I have flown. But I would beat feet to the baggage claim area anyway. You may want to ask if the baggage could be handled at the destination other than placing it on the carousel for retrieval.

I usually take a locking case, and place it inside a locking suitcase, and then use strapping tape to "seal" the big one after the tag is inside.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Ni ellegimit carborundum esse! ;)

Yours In Marksmanship
http://www.1bigred.com/distinguished

michael

[This message has been edited by Michael Carlin (edited 01-29-99).]

I'm leaving for Atlanta in the morning. I called Delta and discussed the same thing wih them I reccomend you call the airline. Some are better than others. Of course the gun must be unloaded and in a hard lockable case, you must declare the firearm at check in. You fill out a form and hope they don't stick it to the outside of your suitcase (steal me) Allow for even more time at check in than normal. Some arilines require the ammo to be in a second suitcase. some don't. They usually require the ammo to be in some kind of container. ..Mark THG

------------------
www.customholsters.com
M/D ENTERPRISES Custom Concealment Holsters
mde@icsi.net

All good advice so far and I've done the same many times myself.

One more tip: know your airport. Some airports make you pass your luggage through X-ray prior to getting to the ticket counter. When they find your secured and unloaded gun, they'll arrest you for bringing your gun into the airport (I think NY does this). More reasonable airports allow you go get your ticket and make your declaration, fill out the steal me tag and check it in at that point.

United is good about guns. Flown them for years and never had a problem. Always announced myself as off duty prior to mentioning the unloaded gun (no panic that way).

Regarding FL, IALEFI had its ATC last year in FL (didn't make it) and if I recall correctly, if your department lets you carry, so will FL. Don't quote me on that and hopefully a member from FL will provide a more knowledgeable response.

4v50 Gary

You might want to call ahead to your desination city and speak to local "State attornys office" about thier local laws about carrying ,just to be on the safe side.

------------------
Justice for one,Justice for all.

"... in the land of the freeeee, and the home of the brave."

What has happened to us? If they "help" us much more, we'll have to submit a written request for permission to apply for a permit to purchase toilet paper. :(

Agree with all the above with one exception. I have traveled with over 300 rounds of .45 ACP in the past (in a separate hard case in a separate bag). No problems with number of rounds. Calling ahead is a good idea, and always declare up front.

Oh, for the good old days when I boarded a plane and was wearing a 1911 in a hip holster with two spare mags on the other hip. No x-ray machines, metal detectors or 600 security guards in the terminals.

as an airplane mech for a major airline i see this problem every day. the posts are all correct just want to add that some airlines require the amo to be in the manufactures orig boxes and all airlines will require it to be in a bag seperate from the gun. MOST IMPORTANT ....DONT LET THEM PUT A FIREARM TAG ON THE BAG IT IS AGAINST THE LAW TO DO SO the steal me tag was outlawed a couple of years ago
pat paterson usairways mechanic 36096 pitsburgh line maintenance

While it is not a requirement, I have started shipping ammo to someone I trust at the destination. For example, I will be returning to Arizona in October. (lots of good places to get training there) I will send a buddy the money and have HIM place an order with Georgia Arms and have my ammo delivered directly to him in Az. I'll pick it up from him on the way to class.

I can then travel with my hand guns as described and not have to worry about 1000 rnds of ammo on the plane. The 11 lb rule can be a problem if you are taking a 3.5 or 5 day class.

------------------
Bubba

Back