Pachmayr vs. Hogue Rubber Grips

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Gentleman, For aftermarket grips on handguns,
which do you prefer; Pachmayr or Hogue rubber
grip's?

Regards,
Ala Dan

All my wheels (one J-frame S&W, six Rugers) wear Pachmayr Decelarators.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

I like the Hogues a bunch on my K frames. I do have Pachmayrs' on my D frame colts. My J frames have Uncle Mikes Boot Grips. My one N frame has Hogues as does my Ruger Security Six.

Giz

I've had great experiences with Hogue grips in the past on a Sig 229, 1911, Beretta 92FS, and the list goes on... I would recommend them to anyone who wanted to try a rubber grip. However, I have only tried Pachmayr once, and it didn't fit my Sig 229 very well. Fluke? Probably, but I went back to Hogue and haven't had any problems...

For wheelguns, I like the Hogue monogrips best. The open backstrap works for my short fingers, and the gentle continuation of the curve at the top back of the grip where the frame widens out is the most comfortable for absorbing recoil.

Pachmayers had a too-square edge up there and were noticeably more uncomfortable when shooting way-stout 146- and 158-gr loads in .357 mag.

BTW, I first got into the Hogues when they were hard plastic, and still prefer that type. An off-brand rubber grip with closed backstrap was less comfortable, because the rear surface was too narrow. A broad, smooth surface works best for me, even if it's steel or hard plastic.

edit-
This is all despite the fingergrooves. They don't really fit me. A single groove like the AR15A2's grip would be ideal. Now that I think about it, maybe it's time to grind off the last two ridges on mine...

[This message has been edited by Cheapo (edited January 15, 2000).]

I just bought Pachmayrs for my 1911 Gov't. The wraparound type with rubber for the frontstrap. They feel and look great. The only thing I don't like is that they don't screw down tight to the frame; there is a little gap between the frame and the rubber stocks... I may need to ream out the rubber hole so they screw tight to the frame...

I have Hogue monogrips on my highpower and pachmayer wraparounds on my 1911. I like 'em both for different reasons. The Hogues "flesh out" the grip a little more, since the Browning's a little small, in my opinion. The Pachmayrs on the 1911 add traction, while not making the grip that much bigger. It's already plenty big enough

------------------
"...We be sick of this lawlessness, and we would be Free People once more."
-Rudyard Kipling, from The Jungle Book

Hello, Thanks to everyone who has posted
here, in regards to my question. I have
Pachmayr Signature's own my Browning HP
Practical, and really have fallen in love
with them. Now, I'm thinking about putting
a set on my Ruger Mark II KMK-512?

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Back