Pachmayr Decelerators for shotgun.

Pond James Pond

I'm inclined to start re-acquainting myself with shotguns but my shoulder still remembers the last time.

So, which size butt-sleeve pad would fit a shotgun with these butt-stock dimensions?

~1.75" widest point, ~5.15" tall.

Are you looking for a slip-on type or the better permanent grind-to-fit type?
Just adding a slip-on will also change your LOP and drop which MAY affect your perceived recoil.
If your shoulder is getting beat up, shoot loads with a slower and lighter payload.

Last edited:
^^^Ditto^^^

Pachmayr has all the info on their site.
http://www.pachmayr.com/home/

Yes,
Once you go into their website and start "digging", you will see that they list the range dimensions. These are quite helpful in finding your fit. Also, the quality is very good. I have a slip on that fits most of my shotguns ... :)

Be Safe !!!

There's been plenty of previous conversations on this very subject.
A search of the forum should find them.
But for starters, there's a few things that help with shotgun recoil.
A good recoil pad.
Add some weight to the inside of the stock.
Use lower recoil ammo, like Winchester Low Noise Low Recoil.
All the ammo manufacturers have some similar stuff.
It's about like turning a 12 gauge into a 20.
A shoulder pad if needed.
And, of course, good technique.
Keep your cheek on the stock so it doesn't slap you.
Keep the stock firmly against the shoulder throughout the shot and follow through.
How the gun fits the shooter is very important.
But that requires more effort and investment than most folks will consider.

The cheek hasn't been a problem, but the shoulder was all the colours of the rainbow the first time I tried my 12g. To be fair, I had chosen some stoutish loads based on what people had said: 34gr load of #6 or 7 pellets, IIRR.

Of the things listed, I will certainly get a recoil pad, slip-on or otherwise, learn good shouldering technique and perhaps stuff a small parcel of shot in the stock: there is big ol' empty space in there with only one big screw head in the depths!

^^^ ...gwillikers said ... !

and I think its mostly about the fundamentals...(head on stock to prevent cheek slap ) .....and (solid shoulder contact throughout the shot)...and don't tuck your elbows into your rib cage which causes the gun to slide out of the shoulder pocket down to the bicep.

In a 12ga....pick a shell with less shot ( 7/8 oz or 1 oz )...and the lowest velocity you can find ( 1150 - 1200 fps ) ...is plenty. The size of the shot is irrelevent...( 1 oz of 8's has more pellets than 1 oz of 7.5's...but its still one ounce...).

If you have black and blue marks ...its a big indication - you were moving the shotgun forward, losing contact with your shoulder, as you executed the shot / so it was recoiling and smacking you in the shoulder. Or you might have been letting go of the shotgun in the "grip area" as you fired.

Keep a smooth follow thru - stay with the gun as you pull the trigger and follow thru ..that will help keep solid contact with the shotgun.

A shotgun that fits you properly - and you execute the fundamentals correctly ...an adult can easily put 250 shells a day thru a 12ga shotgun with no shoulder pain. If you put weight into stock ...balance it with weight under the forearm ( if you can ) - so it doesn't change the balance of the gun. With some tape on receiver - mark the balance point of the gun ( hold it with one hand under center point )...and whatever weight you put in to butt stock and forend...keep the same balance point. In general, a 1lb increase in overall weight ...will reduce recoil for a given shell about 20%.

Lead golf club tape - inside forend...or a spent shell with 8 oz of shot in it taped up in stock bolt hole ...work pretty well.

Shooting a real light gun in 12ga...might be the issue. I like my "general purpose guns" at about 8.5 lbs.....

Last edited:
Thanks for the hints and tips, BigJim.

Both guns I have are light, I'd say.

One is a single-shot 16g that is LITE light, perhaps 6lb, if that! The 12g is also pretty light: alloy body etc...
It is a Verney Carron copy of a Franchi AL48.

Nothing very exclusive or refined but they've been in the family now for about 65 /55 years respectively and still in good mechanical shape!!

I really should weigh them....

Limb

I put Limbsaver pads on all my shotguns. They really help. I tend to shoot a lot but imfrequently so my shoulder has trouble adapting sometimes. The pads fix that.

Yeah, those old guns either had no recoil pads (when men were men) or something that only looked like one.
Modern recoil pads are so much better.
Check out the ones from Caldwell, Past, Kick-eez, and Pachmayr.

Yeah, those old guns either had no recoil pads

Yeah.

The ones on the gun look like they were made from baked coconut shell and feel like an iron-maiden that's been turned inside out....

I think my grand-dad's generation had no sensory nervous system...:rolleyes:

Recoil Pads

In my observations of various ranges,the Kick-EZZ Pads seem to dominate.And probably for good reasons. :D

34gr load of #6 or 7 pellets, IIRR.

Why?

Lowest recoil = heaviest gun + lowest velocity + Lightest payload = joy

I reload 3/4oz loads for 12 and 20 for fun and practice - and in my gas gun, the recoil is minimal.

Make sure you place the buttstock in the "pocket" of your shoulder/collarbone area.

Because I asked for a light load and that is what "they" gave me.

I had (and to a degree still have) little or no idea about the relative performance of different shotgun cartridges....

I thought the shop staff would be in a position to help. If it was a ply to get me to buy a recoil pad from them, it is working...

But let's put some meat on the bones of your formula. I've just weighed both my shotguns.

The 16g single shot comes in at a portly 2kg/4.4lbs and the 12g at a positively sumo-esque 3kg/6.6lbs!! :eek:

I had not realised that they were quite so waif-like. Great for lugging over hill and dale; not so good for putting dozens of shells through on practice day. Slugs should be interesting....

Last edited:
Yeah, those old guns either had no recoil pads (when men were men) or something that only looked like one.
Well, I also think we tend to shoot much higher volume than most did in the past. To begin with, ammunition prices have dropped significantly over the last 75 years relative to wages(considering inflation).
I also think people tend to shoot much hotter loads.

I won't say my grandfather, who grew up on a farm without an air conditioned cab tractor wasn't tougher than me, but maybe not by the margin it might seem at first.

The 16g single shot comes in at a portly 2kg/4.4lbs and the 12g at a positively sumo-esque 3kg/6.6lbs!!

I had not realised that they were quite so waif-like. Great for lugging over hill and dale; not so good for putting dozens of shells through on practice day. Slugs should be interesting....

You just proved the laws of physics!....;):D

I'd find something at least 7.5# for slugs.

I'd find something at least 7.5# for slugs.

Or I could just cut out a gun-butt shaped section out of the marital mattress. 8" of padding might start to dampen the recoil!!

I take it you see why I was a bit alarmed by the shoulder-tenderising...

Back