Pach or Hogue for my Ruger GP?

Mastrogiacomo

Hi people, I have a 3" blued GP. The factory grip is ok but I'm looking for something more comfortable. Which grips are the better choice for this gun? Thank you.

never tried the Pachs. Have a couple Hogues on my GPs (and my S&Ws for that matter). I shoot some heavy loads and the Hogue grips mitigate felt recoil quite a bit better than the stock grips. ANd the stock grips aren't bad.

Last edited:
For comfort the Hogue Tamer is hard to beat, they do fill your hand pretty good so if you have small hands maybe not the best. I have a pretty stout 180gr load that is comparable recoil to a medium load in my .41 and it’s still very comfortable to shoot a whole box no problem.

Last edited:
I do have small hands. I'm not someone that often shoots the magnum loads so it's more for being comfortable handling it when I'm shooting the .38's.

Laura

That looks sharp, but these days I'm moving away from wood grips. I want something functional for shooting comfort in all kinds of weather.

long time pac fan. however current renditions from lyman who took them over>not same rubber content. seam line up disappointing and also squishy. just tried a pair for my charter arms. off they went and hogues went on.
btw like lyman products not bashing everything they make.

I've found that, when shooting small but powerful revolvers, grip fit is more important than grip material. Rubber "recoil absorbing" grips that don't fit your hand will feel worse than harder grips that fit well. I put some Pachmayer G10 grips on my pocket sized .357 (Taurus 605) and they feel better than the original rubber grips.

50025182143_35c5338691_z.jpg

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brand...er-grips/g10-tactical-revolver-grips?___SID=U

Last edited:
long time pac fan. however current renditions from lyman who took them over>not same rubber content. seam line up disappointing and also squishy. just tried a pair for my charter arms. off they went and hogues went on.
btw like lyman products not bashing everything they make.
Dang, first I've heard this about Pach.

With that said, my prior post was in reference to Pachs made 20 years ago.

--Wag--

I’ve got Hogue’s on both of my GP100’s, and my SP101 (and a Hipower and 1911).

They fit my hands better, and are more comfortable to me, than the pachmyr grips.

My father put the pachmyr on all of his guns, and that’s what I grew up shooting, but, the Hogue’s win eveytime for me.

I prefer pretty wood to rubber----but----rubber has advantages over wood in comfort and ease of gripping. I have traded in most of my wood grips for Hogue and really like them. I have one set of Pachs because Hogue does not offer a grip for that gun. The Pachs are OK and do what I want but I prefer Hogues.

You didn't say what type of factory grips you have. I have a Willie Clapp GP100. It has the wood rubber combination grips that came on it and I like them a lot. I'm fairly sure these grips are made by or sold through Altamont.

Back