Pac-nor plant burns

That's awful. I had a Pac Nor barrel on my .308 Savage that was a substantial improvement over factory.
The sad part is: "Pac-Nor President Chris Dichter said he was not sure if the plant would be re-built: “Thirty-five years of my life went up in this fire. I am 66 years-old and I don’t know if I have the time left. It took my lifetime to find all the machinery in this plant.”"

That's awful. I had a Pac Nor barrel on my .308 Savage that was a substantial improvement over factory.
The sad part is: "Pac-Nor President Chris Dichter said he was not sure if the plant would be re-built: “Thirty-five years of my life went up in this fire. I am 66 years-old and I don’t know if I have the time left. It took my lifetime to find all the machinery in this plant.”"
Truth be known, I don't know what machinery he was using, but better machinery is now available.

Truth be known, I don't know what machinery he was using, but better machinery is now available.
Perhaps, but at what price? He might have meant that finding the machinery he needed at a price he could afford (i.e. pre-owned machines) took him that long.

Sometimes the old time machinery was kept on since employees knew how to operate same. It's not so simple as a machine burning up.

Replacing the machinery isn't the long lead problem, it's replacing the tooling. That "vast selection" of reamers might take years to replace along with all the other dedicated fixtures and etc.

I could order a better lathe(s) easily. Probably get up a deep hole drill without too much fuss.
But I would think a rifling bench to be different, special order, custom built, expensive.

Back