PA-63 Hungarian wannabe Makarov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oatka

I didn't want to bury this on the Makarov post, so here I go. It doesn't have the manual slide lock like the Makarov and the parts won't interchange, but it looks sturdy enough. Ran 50 rds milsurp through it with no problem. At 15 yards with a two-hand hold, I can cover the 7 shots with the palm of my hand. How does that compare with the Maks? Is it "as good as" or is this a lesser quality version? Finish and fit look good. This has an alloy frame, so would the Corbons be OK?

I think the general consensus is, "about the same, but fewer accesories/parts."

www.makarov.com has a little information on the PA-63. The discussion board also has a few regulars that own them.

I owned a PA-63 a few years ago that was a good pistol. Extra mags are expensive now but at the time I picked up three spares for only about $15 each. My PA-63 was accurate, reliable, and easy to carry. The combination of the serrated trigger and heavy, rough DA pull made firing the first shot a chore until I did a little work. I did suffer some slide bite on the web of my hand.

I npicked up a pa-63 in 380 slightly used for $150 a few years ago. It's my lightwieght backpacking/antelope finishing off pistol. I love the little bugger. Here is a trick i learned.: Paint the tiny front sight bright orange and point it like a shotgun at center of mass. I can drop 7 shots in a pattern the size of a tennis ball at 10 yards.

As far as the heavy trigger pull. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. Why sink a $75 tigger job on a $150 gun? Take another $75 and BUY another GUN. ;)

The only complaint I've had is that the frame is a soft alloy and it gets beat up easily. I'm sure this gun won't have the service life of a wlather.. but its nice to shoot.

Hope it helps,

Dr.Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back