P99 questions

sox

Gang, do you all know if the P99 will be offered in subcompact form? Thanks. I shot the fullsize today at a rental range and wow! Odd trigger at first, but super accurate and quick and good handling. I just prefer the smaller sized weapons.

The P99 is about the size of a glock 23. Just about the right size, unless you are comparing it to a PPK.

Check out the QA or quick action model. Its a modified single action trigger, like the glock.

Mr. Pub, conceptually I help me understand the QA please. I read the website info, but haven't handled one. How much travel, is there any take up, or is it similar to the first shot on the regular P99 with the distinct two stage feel. A buddy said it felt like a DAO, yet I think he was actually handling the 990. Thanks, Dave.

I think quickaction is Walther's answer to Glock's safe action. After firing, the striker is cocked back about 3/4 of the way. When you pull the trigger, it pulls the striker back the remaining 1/4 of the way, and releases it. Pros are that it has a consistent trigger pull for every round, and without the drawback (some wouldn't call it a drawback) of carrying "cocked and unlocked". Cons are that you don't have a DA alternative on the first shot, and if you fire and get a "fail to fire", you need to cock it (partially rack the slide) for it to fire again.

Regarding the compact, I agree with Mr. Pub. It's about the same size as my Glock 23, which is to say "mid-sized". Going any smaller would take away one of my favorite aspects of this gun: the availability of 16 round mags.

That being said, I love my P99. And it's the Bond gun... what more could you want?

"Cons are that you don't have a DA alternative on the first shot, and if you fire and get a "fail to fire", you need to cock it (partially rack the slide) for it to fire again. "

--- As far as the cons go, I don't think that not having full DA is a detriment. I much prefer the lighter, shorter QA for the first shot. As far as failure to fire problems, it is true that with guns without exposed hammers like the Glock or Walther P99 QA, you can't just pull the hammer back and refire, however, one, I'm not sure that I want to waste time restriking a round that has failed to fire. I'd rather eject it and get to the next round. You can rack the slide about 1/4" without ejecting the round and have it recock. I have only tried this with snap caps so I don't know if it would work with a real round, though I don't see why not.

The travel of the trigger for the QA is similar to a Glock. It doesn't have the rapid refire of a glock.

Back