P89 Ruger KaBoom!

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateshooter

I had my 2 week old P89 Ruger blow up on me this morning at our local indoor range. I was shooting Wolf Brand 9mm ammo, which I had shot many boxes of with no problems. It blew the extractor out, and imbedded it into the partition between lanes, and had to be removed with pliers, the case looks like the head blew off and most of it is still in the chamber. I don't know if it was the ammo, or the gun.
The gun is going back to Ruger tomorrow. I'll post the results of whatever I find so maybe someone else won't have this problem.
Good shooting to ya
Dave

All I can say is it's a good thing you didn't have one of those Glocks--I hear those things sometimes blow up. ;)

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

Gwinney:
I have a friend that had a Glock 40 blow up on him. Completely destroyed the gun, and Glock basically told him to go "f" himself.
I bet Ruger will take care of this at no charge. I will let you all know.

Interesting. Any damage to the barrel, slide or frame? Unless the gun fired out of battery (which the factory will check), it was probably the ammo. Save your ammo, your original box and receipt.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Gary: Can't disassemble, or remove the slide. My guess is that somehow the extractor is held in by something in the decocker/safety mechanism. Looks like the blast came out right where the extractor is on the barrel when the action is closed. The case is still in the chamber, with the section of the head blown off right where the extractor would have been. I think it had something to do with releasing the safety, moving it back to the fire position, and shooting it double action. Something screwed up in the safety/decock mechanism I think. Ruger dosen't ususally tell you much, they just fix the gun and return it to you. I'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Dave

Isn't WOLF ammunition that crap that the Commie Russian's are importing? I wouldn't touch that stuff with a ten foot pole! The casings are aluminum (not the same quality stuff CCI uses in the Blazer ammo) and can't be reloaded. Point made simple, if you can't reload it and it comes from a country that has to sell half of it's inventory of tanks and missiles so that it's people can eat, think twice before laying down the green backs.

Plate Shooter, was your friend using reloads or factory ammo in his Glock .40? That could be the very reason why it blew up.

Pete:
The Wolf brand is steel case 9mm made in Russia. It's going for 99 bucks per 1000 rounds. I use it at the shoots where you can't pick up your brass, and you go through many rounds in a day. I have shot cases of this stuff and had no problems in several different guns. Most of my plateshooting buddys use this also and I have never heard of them having so much as a dud round. I do agree with your assessment of the Russian economy:-)
The Glock that blew up was purchased in the early 90s and the ammo was reloaded lead rounds. There was no warning given by Glock at "that time", nothing in the manual that came with the gun. Now, everyone knows not to use lead in the 40 Glocks. My point was that their customer service sucked, they threatened to sue my friend for blowing up "their" gun, and refused for along time to return his gun to him until he threatened to sue them. Who needs that aggravation?
Take care
Dave

Sport45:
There is a vendor that hits all the shows here in NE Ohio. He has it for $6.00 per box or $99.95 per K out the door. It's really hard to leave a show without another case for that price. You can find it in Shotgun news for $109 per case.
Take care
Dave

plateshooter-sorry to hear about your Ruger Kaboom. It is highly unusual for these guns to have any problems. People can say that they are too heavy or not as sexy looking as a Beretta, but for sure the Ruger is very reliable. Ruger has an excellent reputation for taking care of problems and I am sure they will resolve yours to your satisfaction. Let us know.

Hey guys, suggest we all stay away from Wolf Brand Ammo (any relation to the Coyote's Acme?). Rugers are generally overengineered for toughness (there's one where they removed all the metal on the slide below the ejection port and fired over 10k rounds through it. They still shoot it now and then if someone wants to test it (but must log the # of rounds). Problem is probably related to the ammo.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Sure would be nice if we could reload those steel cases... imagine how fast it would be to shag brass in the grass-- just use an old speaker magnet!

CTD listed WOLF ammo as being not reloadable, I don't know if it was the 7.62x39 or what. Still, the stuff sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back