p7m8 for defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike D

Inactive
how many of us acually use this weopon for personal defense/carry? much has been said about how wonderful a target gun this is. could the light/smooth trigger pull be a problem in a defensive situation (accidential
discharge?) my trigger pull is similar to my glocks were it is short and crisp,although my glocks have a definate break,were my p-7 is just smooth through out.has anyone measured there trigger weight? for those that do carry this weopon,how do you carry and what ammo do you use? also do you use night sites?

I carry one every day, and wouldn't trade it for anything. Right size, right weight, fits my hand like it was made for me. Wonderfully accurate, perfectly reliable, what else could you want in a handgun? It does not have some of the features that other pistols have(high capacity, large caliber, etc)but none of these make any difference if you cannot hit what you are aiming at, and even people that don't like the P7 will still tell you how accurate they are. I've had a pile of handguns and like different ones for different things, but the P7M8 is my favorite carry gun, hands down. I carry IWB with a surefire 6P and spare mag offside. My carry ammo is Remington 115+P JHP's, and I do have night sights installed.

[This message has been edited by bushmaster (edited July 28, 1999).]

I, as you might have guessed, adore my P7's. However, I must confess one of the reasons I am so rabid: it was my first gun. When I was sixteen years old I caught the handgun bug. I already enjoyed shooting my rifles [never liked shotguns all that much--too crude]. My greatest joy was my single-shot 22 with iron sites. But, when I decided to get a handgun, I decided, unlike my friends, not to buy the first gun I could afford, I would look for the best. After talking to various gun gurus, the majority said the P7 was probably the best gun in existence. I agreed and put down a pile of dough on a used M13 (I confess, in my youth I too was bitten by the capacity bug). So, I have been shooting P7's for well over a decade now--therefore it is hard for me to say whether it should be hard to shoot for those of us acustomed to other guns. I have always loved the trigger pull. One of my famous complaints about the Glock is that gun's terrible feeling trigger.
In answer to you actual question: yes, I carry this gun every day. I keep it by me just about every where I legally can. And at night the only thing closer to my hand is my wife.
Greg-o

I have a Belly Band that I had resewn at a Dry Cleaners to fit my P7 M13. I carry it up front over my appendix. The very short muzzle length (due to superior design) allows me to carry it upfront very comfortably for a "full size" gun. It is smaller than my Glock 19. Lately I have been playing around with other guns for fun, but for a few years all I carried for ultra-concealment was my P7 M13. Oh, and I have never had trouble with rust or holster wear on the slide (no more than with any other blued gun), even living on the coast. The backstrap can rust a little right where the webbing of my thumb goes if I fondle it and dry fire it too much without wiping it off, but that was before I discovered Tuff Coth. I wipe it down with Tuff Cloth and amazingly it is months before I need to wipe it down again. Even when I carry it concealed in the hot weather and sweat all over it, it does not rust at all nowadays.

Greetings, sir. While I don't carry my P7, it does "house duty" at my bedside. I prefer it as I don't have to leave it cocked and locked, but can still almost instantly have the nice single-action trigger pull. It's loaded with 115 gr +P Triton Quik-Shoks. Best.

Hello Mike D.
I've carried my P7M8 on a daily basis for almost 15 years. It was, like Mr. Bell above, my first handgun. As is common with my approach to new things, I first researched the "best overall" caliber (as though such a thing can be specified with absolute certainty!), then, after deciding that the 9x19, with proper loads & in hollowpoint configuration, offerred the best compromise of effectiveness and ease of use for a new shooter, looked next into the available guns for the caliber. I settled on the P7M8 as likely the best made gun in the 9x19 chambering, both for its intrinsic accuracy, and its safety. (My kids were little then, and the squeeze cocker appealed to me since I was sure my kids couldn't fire it by any means.) Of course, I found that the squeeze cocker permits H&K's "continuous motion principle" to operate in bringing the weapon to bear and firing, without any need for snapping off a safety, yet doing this with a finer trigger pull than any other gun on the market (including Glocks).
Many people write opinionated pieces in the "gunrags", or post on the various gun-related Internet bulletin boards, about how this is an "experts-only" weapon, or how those persons with P7s should use them exclusively, avoiding all other guns. That's as may be. As my first gun, I'm thoroughly familiar with all of the P7's nuances, and remain so, though I've owned (and sometimes carried) dozens of other handguns since. I still have a number of Glocks, SigSauers, and revolvers, and I have absolutely no trouble transitioning from one to the other on the range. I always have a 642 Centennial Smith & Wesson in a pocket nowadays, but am rarely without my P7M8 unless it is so hot that even a lightweight nylon vest is very uncomfortable, which is almost never. You DO have to be able to accomodate the weight of this little gun, and it can't be carried in a pants pocket. Over the years, I've tried a number of approaches, from "deep cover" concealment down the front of the pants (in a homemade rig, before "Thunderwear" existed), to "off-body" methods (specially-adapted briefcases), to belt & shoulder rigs. I've owned AT LEAST two dozen holsters for this gun, including examples from nearly any leather maker you can name, and kydex from BladeTech and Mad Dog. The distillation of all that is this; if you want a secure, tight, properly-positioned belt holster for the P7M8, which takes the weapon's "butt-heavy" property into account (and minimizes it), yet permits the instant acquisition of a proper firing grip, get Ken Null's GSS (Gibralter Speed Scabbard). He makes an excellent offside magazine pouch for the P7, too. (http://www.klnullholsters.com) The Mad Dog kydex completely failed to account for the weapon's weight distribution, and is essentially useless, while the BladeTech holster balanced the weapon very well, but like all kydex belt holsters, left the gun sticking out to the side rather than tucking the weapon in, with the result that the cover garment (vest) was always wearing the paint off the outer part of the rear sight. (The rear of the slide does "stick up in the air" a bit, adding another slight problem to the concealment issue.) Finally, as regards shoulder rigs; a shoulder rig with two-magazine offside carrying capability is an excellent way to carry this gun in a balanced, invisible, and truly comfortable manner. Many "experts" decry the shoulder holster, but it IS comfortable, is better accessed than a belt holster when seated, especially in a car, and can be plenty fast with practise. There is the theoretic concern about violating "Rule #2" (the muzzle is pointing at people and things behind you when the gun is holstered in a horizontal rig, and the muzzle can cross your "off hand" or other people on drawing the weapon), but this is a training issue, not really an equipment issue. Besides, the safety features of the P7 series makes an AD in the holster (assuming a covered trigger guard) impossible, and obedience to Rule #3 takes care of the rest.
I've also had 12 different shoulder rigs over the years (name the makers of your choice), and the absolute no-question best is made by Lou Allessi, and at a bargain price compared to many of the others. (Lou is working on a web site. He used to try to put out a catalogue but could never keep up. Go to http://www.rfholsters to request a catalogue from his distributor, R.F. Hunting, which will have most of his designs.)
I can't offer any advice about IWB holsters. I despise 'em. They're NEVER as comfortable as belt holsters are, and you can ALWAYS conceal a well-designed belt holster easily with proper attire.
I have the standard sights which came with the gun.
The most accurate (pinpoint!) load in mine is Remington Golden Saber 124gr +P, which has engineered terminal ballistics providing for reliable bullet expansion without fragmentation. This is what I carry. (With two extra mags and one in the chamber , that's 25 rounds.) Cor-Bon has gotten a lot of bad press lately, but their 115gr load seems pretty potent, and has good accuracy and precision in the P7, but not up to the Remington GS standard.
That's my $.04. Good luck!

------------------
"Potius sero quam nunquam."

Greetings, sir. Great post! I own and shoot numerous types of handguns (and rifles) and have never had any problem remembering the manual of arms for any, including the P7. I think they are fine defensive, plinking, or informal target pistols. Best.

I carry my P7M8 almost every day. I tried switching to a Model 23 Glock since I shoot the G35 a bunch. I sold the G23 and am sticking with the P7M8 simply due to ergonomics and the fact I can shoot it fast and accurately.

I carry the P7 in a Milt Sparks holster. The only complaint I have about the P7 is that it is a bit heavy in the "butt" when carried high.

Slightly off-topic, but I noticed some of the above posters are not law enforcement officers (at least that's not evident from their "occupation" description), yet mention that they carry their guns around with them. How do you legally carry your weapon with you, if you're not a LEO? Do you have a CCW permit? If so, is it easy to obtain? Or does the DA not prosecute these things? (BTW I want a P7M8! My wife won't let me get one right now though, since I just spent $1000 on a Walther P99 + LaserDevices BA5 Super power point).

[This message has been edited by Sambonator (edited August 03, 1999).]

Mike D.

I just bought an HK P7M8 because my Sig 229 had to go back to the factory. I've put about 500 rounds thru it and love it. It is by far the most accurate auto I've owned.

I am a member of a defensive (tactical) handgun club, and the issue of accidental discharge is constantly addressed. The solution is: never place your trigger finger in the trigger guard unless you intend to fire the gun. This is extremely important, and it takes a lot of practice to remember in your muscles. An unintentional discharge in a defensive situation (read extreme stress) would probably occurr with any type of trigger if you flinch (somebody screams 'Kill the *******!' while your heart and mind are going a mile a minute.)

The trigger pull of the P7 is one of the reasons I bought the gun, and adds to the accuracy of the weapon, which adds to its safety in the long run. I had considered buying the Glock 17 instead, but never felt good about the trigger. I don't regret my decision at all.

After my P7M8 digested 1,000 rds of ammo (500FMJ & 500JHP) without a m/f, I also started to depend on it for defensive purposes. Not for carry, yet, but as a house gun. My P7 is the best out of the box pistol I have ever shot. I have grown to love and appreciate all the little nuances inherent in its design. To me its simply the best designed combat pistol made!
I keep my loaded with CorBon 115gr ammo. Accuracy is very good but am thinking of switching to a 124gr HP.

Trying to decide which aftermarket finish to go with.

Anyone have suggestions on night sights?

BK, I am glad you like your P7 so much. It was kindof a risk for you to buy one just from what you have heard on this forum (isn't that why you bought it, because so many shooters here rave about it?) Anyway, I am glad that it has worked for you, it is quite a gun!

As I said in another thread, just don't get the IWI sights because they have no white outline and and I can ONLY see them well in very bright light or total darkness.

I think that people really need to own a P7 and understand it in detail before they comment too much on it. There are just so many little nuances to it that you discover after shooting it many rounds. Once you put it through it's paces hard and understand all the nice features that are not readily apparent, then it is easy to see why people are so wild about it.
There has to be some reason that most P7 owners quickly buy more than one! Once you have one and fall in love with it's awesomeness, the price just doesn't seem so bad, and for some wierd reason you HAVE to buy another one every time you stumble onto a good deal.

Sambonator - I think you will find that there are more LEO's on thess forums than is apparent, and also, just about everyone here that can, has gotten themselves a CCW permit.

Thaddeus,

Yep. All the raving by the P7 lovers here at TFL convinced me. The P7 had been on my short list for a long time, but you guys pushed me over the edge! :) Very rare occasion that I was willing to gamble $1,000 for a firearm I had only seen in magazines and books! Course, there were a couple of Cooper Arms rifles and that....

I've carried a Colt, Browning Hi-Power, Para P-12. But the last couple years has been my H&K P-7 PSP. Flat, smooth, accurate, reliable etc... I use the Cor-Bon 115 gr. JHP.
I decided on a P-7 years ago, when at a gun show, I noticed that about 75% of the dealers were carrying P-7's. I figured "when in Rome".....

I keep hearing $1000 dollars for a NIB P7M8. Well I picked up one for $699 the otherday. :) :) :) My CCW is a Compact USP45 but we'll see if this one might get to wear that crown.

This gun had never been shot but was sold as factory refurbished(supposedly they were lost somehow and the distributor offered 3 to each of the dealers. They initially for the East German police. Truth or not is is pristene). What this really means is the factory decided to mill off some East German Police markings from the slide and reblued. Not the prettiest way to do it but makes me not worry about that first scratch. I may have the slide redone to blend it in a little but how knows. I heard a few other stores have already unloaded alot of these so keep your eyes open.

CL

[This message has been edited by Craig Luna (edited August 08, 1999).]

P7M8: Perfect gun to carry in the glove box of your Porsche. (At least, my niece's husband, the yuppy computer programmer, thinks so.) But is it REALLY worth three Ruger P97's? slabsides
(Yeah I know, not QUITE three!)

------------------
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject; a disarmed man is a slave.

This is rather painfull for me -

*sigh*

I had 2 P7's, and a P9, and a VP70z...
Had a huge HK collection. (I still get teary thinking of the '53) Money suddenly became very, very evasive for me to obtain. Putting food on the table was no longer possible. My kids got hungry. The choice was easy.
I was able to get full value from another collector, who bought my whole collection. He even bought other guns in my collection too - Uzi's, Macs, and 5 long guns...
The guns I kept were my "practicle" guns... the most recent Bushmaster SHORTY I put together, a .22 Remington 514, and my USP .40.

But I digress...
Having carried and fired many a time, all the guns I ever had... I can tell you - ANY HK pistol would make a great carry gun. The P9 is a BRUTAL service auto, dish it out - it can take it. The VP70 - same - but it was a 9mm and I could never find a retention holster for it. The P7's? I carried them several times. Cool guns always get attention, and it became distracting. The Gun I felt best with when knocking on a door - was the USP. Thats why I kept that one.
If you want to risk the dings and scrapes of carrying the gun - it wont let you down.

------------------
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back