P7M8 (10,13) Wrist Strap?

Gary H

There is a small metal loop at the rear lower handgrip, which appears to be available for a wrist strap. Is this the intended function and if so, what function would such a strap serve? It seems that it would have as many disadvantages as advantages.

The ring is a lanyard loop. All military sidearms that I've seen are outfitted with the loop, to allow officers to attach a dummy cord to their weapon. The lanyard straps I've seen, generally go from the shoulder to the pistol, and allow the pistol to be held at arms length -- probably close to 30-36 inches in length. Might check me on that, it's been a while.

I believe the habit came about during the days of the old Horse Cavalry, when losing a weapon meant you had to stop your charge, turn the horse around, and get off the horse to retrieve your weapon. This was considered to be a Bad Thing during combat. :D

I've heard that some snake-eating outfits bed down in the thickest, natiest, thorniest brush they can find. This tends to make employing a rifle somewhat problematic, so they clip small camera straps to the lanyard rings of their pistols, sort of wrist straps to keep the weapons close by when they nap.

LawDog

[This message has been edited by LawDog (edited November 06, 2000).]

Back