P7 Update

jaughtman

Geez, the price these things command these days. I bought one of the police trade-ins for 550 about 10 years ago. It was a "Grade B" mostly due to the refinished (plum) slide and a couple of spots of pitting on the slide. Mechanically great. In fact, it is my bedside gun to this day. However, thinking about bringing it up to spec as I will never be able to afford another one with the $1500+ they are bringing. Anyone got a source for replacement barrels? I have tried Numrich, HK Parts, and ebay already. Also, anyone have experience with Midwest Guns? I see on their page they have color case hardened a couple P7's and they are gorgeous. Thanks!

Jaughtman
P7, BHP guy.

The barrel is fixed so how are you going to replace it? Secondly, one of mine has a plum slide and it is NOT from being refinished; those came about because of other reasons.

^^^^Good Question

I was going to have a gunsmith replace it, of course. Just want one on hand as mine is about 30 years old now. Remind me again on how the plum finish on the slides came about. Much appreciated. Thanks!

Jaughtman

I was going to have a gunsmith replace it, of course. Just want one on hand as mine is about 30 years old now. Remind me again on how the plum finish on the slides came about. Much appreciated. Thanks!

Jaughtman

Age doesn’t mean worn out. It takes a lot of rounds to wear out a pistol barrel. People have pistol barrels with 100k rounds that are still performing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The plum slide has to die with the way the bluing takes to the steel over time. The very common on the P7 and I seriously doubt it’s refinished. I have a number of them and several are plum.

I've only owned a couple of P7 type pistols, but an extra barrel is about the last thing I'd worry about with these pistols. And FWIW, I've seen original finish go plum on several manufacturer's pistols.

The pistols had police markings that were ground off the slides which were then refinished. It resulted in the plum coloring. Some P7s that were not refinished have a slight purple color but it looks different when you see them side by side

Thanks, all!

I would still like to find a spare/replacement barrel regardless, but am well aware the current one might not be worn out, or anywhere near it. Appreciate the info on the bluing. Still contemplating refinishing it to make it a real show piece. Thanks again!

Jaughtman

I think you should do whatever you want with your gun. That said the P7 is special enough that I wouldn’t refinish it. Down the line somebody will thank you if you don’t.

I think you should do whatever you want with your gun. That said the P7 is special enough that I wouldn’t refinish it. Down the line somebody will thank you if you don’t.

My thought process as well. Given that the plum finish isn’t something “wrong” with the pistol, I think it makes sense to preserve it (and not refinishing would likely yield higher value). FWIW I have had a number of far newer production HKs where certain parts had a purple-ish hue. Of course in the end it’s your property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you just must, contact Bruce Gray. When the P7M13 was new on the market, he did some exotic customizing on them. He might have a takeoff barrel laying around.

Thanks all!

I would still like to procure an extra barrel, just for down the road, but you all have me second guessing the refinishing on it.

Jaughtman

Remind me again on how the plum finish on the slides came about. Much appreciated. Thanks!

Jaughtman

MY understanding is that it has to do with the way the heat treatment was done, the type of steel and the timing of the treatment - -but I could be wrong........

Back