P7 Refinishing Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Bell

Guys,

I have just sent my P7M8 in for replating. Since I have seen repeated requests for information on this process, I have decided to document my experience for fellow P7 fans who are thinking about refinishing their guns.

I decided to send my gun to Accurate Plating and Weaponry[www.apwcogan.com.] I did this on the recomendation of several people on HK-L, and because their web page specifically mentions the p7, so I feel confident they know what they are doing (I had a problem with another company I sent the gun to --they couldn't take the gun apart!).

I decided on hard chrome because it is about as tough a finish as you can get. I decided against the other finishes because, at this point, I haven't seen any that were much tougher than standard blueing. That goes for the Glocks and the USPs. And some finishes like Robar's NP3 (or whatever) cost several hundred dollars or more.

Here is the break down

$135 Direct matte chrome with flaw removal (the guys at APandW are going to take the two rust pits that are on the slide and frame off.) I could have got a "brushed" finish but I was told that the Matte finish was bead-blasted and looked a little duller. I hope so. I like the look of electroless nickel--can't stand the shiny Hot-Rod chrome that I see on Desert Eagles. Actually, I'd like to get the look of Hans Gruber's gun in DIE HARD.

$20 Strip my old Nickel finish (never that good, HK did a real crappy job on these guns).

$15 P7 charge. Apparantly there is a snob tax at AP and W. Actually, the guy said the P7s are not easy to disassemble and they have to do extra work to remove the tooling marks that decorate the slide and trigger guard. I hope this isn't a con. But like I said, I was just happy they knew what the heck a P7 was. Unfortunately, the guy said the proof marks will be less visable due to the refinishing work.

$5 extra clip. They only give you one free one.

Grand Total=$180!! Plus the new UPS shipping!
-------------------------

The internal parts will, for the most part, not be chromed. The tolerance-sensitive parts will be left alone.

I just sent this gun in on the 7th. Duane at AP and W said 4 weeks for the whole process.

Does Accurate Plating also do Titanium Nitride? Or any other variation of Nitride?

Because of the combination of extreme surface hardness, approaching diamond, flexibility so it follows the subtrate metal even into *new* dents without flaking, and its super-thin application layer, I've decided that's the way to go.

But the one place I surfed into two months ago was quoting something like $350, IIRC. Lead time was only a month, though. $pendy! I won't be doing that one very soon.

I will check this thread with great interest, as the chrome finishes seem to be the next-toughest. I like NP3, and hear that RoGuard or whatever the black one's called is also tough enough for serious use. Years ago, Teflon was a BIG disappointment.

You should have had the internal parts (except, perhaps, for the gas chamber, etc.) plated -- as this supposedly makes for a very slick gun that won't need later adjustments.

I'm thinking about having several of my guns hard-chromed next year. I think I'd like the matte finish...

You should have had the internal parts (except, perhaps, for the gas chamber, etc.) plated -- as this supposedly makes for a very slick gun that won't need later adjustments.

I'm thinking about having several of my guns hard-chromed next year. I think I'd like the matte finish...

Update,

HK says that they will still honor their limited lifetime warranty after the gun is refinished.

I did not get all of the internals refinished because AP&W suggested that some parts were very tolerance-specific. They seemed to be implying that this applied to parts inside the squeeze-cocking mechanism. However, I can't recall if they said so specifically. I know this applies to the gas system, maybe this was all they were referring to. However, I wonder if the chrome might flake if it was applied to all the trigger and cocking parts (obviously, plastic trigger not included).

For my PSP, I am thinking about black chrome or Black-T. My PSP is my CCW. I prefer if for its sleekness (i.e. no protruding clip release). My PSP rides IWB and gets a little sweaty from my fat back in the Georgia sun. It hasn't rusted yet (I think?) but I clean it with breakfree every night before I go to bed. (Note: the much maligned [mostly by me] HK finish hasn't worn at all). I need something that will rustproof it. I prefer black for aesthetic and concealability reasons, but I prefer chrome/nickel because it is tougher and resists/ shows rust better (unless it is under the plate!). Therefore, maybe the black chrome would be best. However, AP&W’s rep says that black chrome isn't as tough as standard chrome.

Has anyone had experience with Black-T or black chrome? By experience I mean with a carry or duty weapon--not some museum piece.

Greg, thanks for this thread. I have a PSP on my CCW too, so I am interested in any information you may have to share. So far, the factory bluing has held its own, but it is getting a little thin. Therefore, I may be following your lead here with refinishing.

Cheapo:

Unless Cogan/AP&W has taken on something new, no. He only does parkerizing, hard chrome and black chrome.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Spight (edited October 19, 1999).]

Thanks for the post Greg,
My Colt Combat elite and Browning Hi-Power are both two tone (blued slide over stainless frame). I was thinking about having my PSP (also my prefered carry piece) finished to match them.
I was considering either AP&W or Robar. It will be nice to see how yours turns out. Good luck!

I wisk some company would would do a teffnier (spelling ) like on the Glock and SW 99

------------------
Guns don't kill people, people kill people !

[This message has been edited by Sean in FL (edited October 20, 1999).]

Hi Everyone-

Yup, been down the path of needing to replace the delicate HK P7 finish. Greg, that's interesting that HK is now honoring their warranty post-refinishing. It's almost an admission that they realize their finish can hardly be described as "durable."

My P7 took a trip out to ROBAR in Arizona. The Roguard externals and NP3 internals seem to have been applied well and the looks are truly beautiful to behold. Also had the sights changed while it was out there to Trijicon 3-dots, which are very functional.

The problem with ROBAR is that that once you send out your firearm, they'll give you a delivery date 8-10 weeks out. In my case, I called them the day before it was due back to me and they replied, "Umm, we haven't even started your pistol yet."

Hello? What has my P7 been doing for the past 65 days? Their reply? "The bulk of the time, firearms are waiting their turn."

After the weekend was over, they started on my P7 and it was returned by the end of the week. That seems to be a sales tactic better suited to car dealerships where they just "hold you hostage." If they are confident with their technology, they shouldn't use these methods. Hey, put me on a waiting list (like a popular restaurant on a Friday night) and call me when my number comes up. I'll overnight express my sidearm to your site immediately....[rant off].

Now that I have my P7 back in my hot little hands, I love the appearance of the Roguard. The NP3 magazines are slick beyond belief! Talk about self-lubricating, these will never, ever need to be yanked out of the pistol. Additionally, they also removed some minor tool marks to create a flawless exterior.

My advice? See if the gunsmith you'll be using can give you a date to send in your firearm with guaranteed start and completion dates. As far as technology is concerned, the more advanced companies (i.e. APW, ROBAR, BearCoat, etc.) are all top-notch, so you'll likely be very pleased with the end result.

Sorry so long-winded, hope it helps.

Regards to all,

~ Blue Jays ~

Gentlemen,

I recieved a call from AP&W today telling me my pistol was complete. Today is exactly 4 weeks from the date I shipped it via UPS. They will be shipping the gun monday (one day earlier than they recieved it). The remarkable thing about this is that 4 weeks is exactly the length of time they said it would be before they refinsished the gun and shipped it--bravo!
The cost: $189 (including UPS 2-box shipping).

I'll report back in when the gun gets here with my opinion on how good a job they did(looks and reliability).

GHB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back