P7 Gunsmithing Question

Mike A

Gents,
I recently decided that I wanted to fill the milling groove on my factory refurbished HK P7M8. I was thinking that a good gunsmith could fill (silver solder?) the groove, level it, and re-blacken. Is this a reasonable assumption? Anyone done it?
I know that it's merely a cosmetic want, since the gun shoots so damn well, but I'd be much happier with it corrected.
Thanks.

Mike, I don't know what the finish on the P7 is but I've done similar work to other guns. The easiest way is to fill the slot with epoxy and when it sets up cover it with teflon or lacquer. Solder is difficult to blacken unless you use one of those two finishes. There is a product called Solder Black but I've never had good results from it. George

George,
I'm sure you've probably seen the mill mark of which I'm speaking; the one where they milled off the German Police proofmark.
It's about .5" wide and very shallow (1/32-1/64"deep). You think that an epoxy would do the trick? I would think that it would shoot out/off, but I may be wrong. You are the GS, not I!

Thanks my friend!
Cheers,
Mike

Mike, the epoxy or Acra-Glass (same thing) won't shoot out. It could be welded but the result might be a slide that is too soft or too brittle. And it would have to be milled or filed down. The epoxy is the easiest method but the finish sort of dictates that. If you're going to use a bake on finish then epoxy, solder or braze will work fine. If you plan to hot blue then only welding will work. George

Leave it alone...you will never make it look right, and someone may wonder why you did such a thing if you go to sell it...and they may wonder what else you may have epoxied/soldered on the gun...

My guess is you will only lower its value.

Back