P64 C&R now

ks_wayward_son

Don't know if its worth getting excited about, but the P64 is now listed under BATF's C&R. I was definitely happy when Yugo Toks made that transition, but FWIW now so are 64's. Anybody shot these little pieces or have experience with them? For 169.00 @ SOG it would be yet another relatively inexpensive addition to the ole' growing collection.

i have one. i carry it sometimes. i think they're good guns. the recoil is a little stiff for some. dbl action firing, accuracy is a little hard. they are pretty small and light. but the price is right.

Crap! I just bought one for my Dad for Father's day & had to pony up a $20 transfer fee. If I had only waited 2 weeks...

Great little pistols,recoil feels like you're shooting a pocket .357,grip and angle a little hard on the hand.Double action is horrendous,probably 22 pounds +.Sights are minuscule.But with a little work they make great pocket guns,Wolff makes replacement springs,several companies make grips.But i'm still looking for some small Novak or MMC to install on them.15 plus yards and you'll be surprised by the accuracy.

Used to have one and carried it too. The complaints are true, very snappy recoil, and a long DA trigger pull, but both problems can easily and cheaply be mitigated with aftermarket springs. The good points are, at least from the example I had, was it was 100% reliable, and I never experienced a failure of any kind, it was also quite accurate for a pistol of that size, plus relatively easy to conceal, and it seemed quite solid and well-made. I have no problems recommending it.

Sounds a lot like the Hungarian FEG PA-63 - fairly accurate light-weight blow-back 9x18 design with a sharp recoil and a heavy DA trigger.

Crap! I just bought one for my Dad for Father's day & had to pony up a $20 transfer fee. If I had only waited 2 weeks...

OK, I bought it before it was a C&R. Do I now have to add it to my C&R bound book?

Sounds a lot like the Hungarian FEG PA-63 - fairly accurate light-weight blow-back 9x18 design with a sharp recoil and a heavy DA trigger.

Yep. As far as actual differences go, the Pa-63 is a little bigger, I believe, and has 1 round ammo capacity (7rd mag, as opposed to 6rd), it weighs about the same as the P-64 because of it's aluminum alloy frame. The upside to the P-64 is that it's all-steel and thus offers superior durability, there is some reports of Pa-63's not being all that long-lasting.

Clark 500, as far as I can recollect, the only time you NEED to record a C&R piece is after the fact it has officially been added to the the C&R list from BATF. However, I believe its not such a bad idea to do so "just to be on the safe side". Its only one additional entry into your bound book, plus you might want to record your dad's name and information under the disposition since you bought it and gave it to him for a gift. Also, if it is ever misplaced/stolen, you'll have the serial information handy for tracking and possible retrieval. Just an idea.

yes, I ordered one from SOG on friday. You guys cost me too much $$$$$
But ain't it fun buying all this old surplus "junk" that's as much fun to shoot as the "gun snobs" Kimber, Sig, Colt, etc high dollar toys!:D:D:D

Just got an email from SOG. They sold out of the holsters that went with the P64, and wanted to know if I still wanted to continue my order. I didn't order it for the holster!
They didn't say anything about the spare mag, hope at least it still comes with that.

I noticed SOG took the holster pic off of their P-64 page. Spare mag pic is still there.

I received my hand pick today. Bore was shiny clean after running one dry patch through it. A few rubs here and there, but none that removed the blue. DA pull is horrendous. SA is crisp, but is "early" in the pull so the trigger just kind of collapses all the way back. Spare mag was in VG condition. Black holster was brand spanking new...never used...dated 2004.

Just got mine in from SOG, no holster, no cleaning rod, and a nice extra magazine. Very nice condition, no visable wear. Shoots fine, accurate at 20 meters. I need to start doing trigger finger exercises if I want to use it double action, OMG no wonder they got rid of them. I'm curious as to what the pull is? Single action is nice and smooth though. A new pair of grips would do wonders too. Having the seam and rough portion of the grip in your palm when firing is uncomfortable after firing the first several rounds. 9x18 is certainly no .32 or .380. Comparison to the ergonomics of the walther or bersa look close but are not quite right.

:confused:Wonder if a spring job would improve the DA?

I'm on my 2nd P-64 (first one was stolen). It is my primary carry gun. Light, small, and EXTREMELY accurate for such a small gun. The DA trigger pull is easily fixed with a 2 minute spring change. The recoil snap can also be slightly diminished by a spring change.

If you want to pocket carry it, the Desantis Nemesis holster for a Sig P230/P232 fits it perfectly.

Wolf sells both replacement main and recoil springs that are made specifically for the P-64. For the main spring, most people find that the 18lb works best. You need one that provides enough power to get consistent hammer strikes but that also allows the trigger to pull the hammer back smoothly without too much effort. On my first P-64, the 18lb spring was perfect. However, my second P-64 didn't like the 18lb spring. It was still too stiff. So, I dropped down to either a 17 or 16lb (I can't remember which). Some guns don't do well at all with the 16lb spring. They get too many light primer strikes and also dropped magazines (the spring also holds in the magazine retention lever). The springs are very cheap, so I just ordered 3 and got to play with them all.

For the recoil spring, they offer 2 extra power (i.e. stiffer) models. I have heard of people having problems with the stiffest one (mainly hard to reassemble but also some ejection problems with weaker ammo). I used the spring that is one notch above the factor standard (again, I don't remember the exact weight but it is really obvious on Wolf's website).

Back