P365/XL Magazine Question for Owners

TunnelRat

Hi all,
For anyone out there that owns a P365/XL, have you left your magazines loaded for a long time, and if so have you noticed any notable impact on the spring tension or function overall?

We’ve had a number of threads in the past about what wears out a magazine (leaving them loaded versus cycling, etc). I think I can say the prevailing wisdom is loading and unloading magazines (as happens during shooting) seems to reduce the life of the springs more than leaving them loaded (assuming properly tempered springs). That is the act of compressing and then decompressing repeatedly wears out a spring more than compression alone.

I’ve never personally had any issues in the past leaving magazines loaded for long periods of time. The other day I was unloading some P365XL magazines that had been left loaded (down by 1 round) for a number of months. When I was unloading them I noticed that some of the rounds (124 gr HST) were nosediving in the magazine as I was pushing out the rounds by hand (see the picture). This is something I’ve only seen with older magazines that needed new springs.

This lead me to wonder if the magazine springs in the P365 magazines might be at their elastic limit when loaded normally and this might lead to them wearing out faster than traditional double stack or single stack magazines. Any input from other users would be appreciated.

Thanks
43a493f2cbf9211e4fa112f9c9dde1b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nose dive is when the round is pointed at the base of the magazine. This is going on??? Geeze.

I have noticed no improvement on both my 10rnd mags. I HAVE to use a loader to get past 5 or 6.

Nose dive is when the round is pointed at the base of the magazine. This is going on??? Geeze.

I have noticed no improvement on both my 10rnd mags. I HAVE to use a loader to get past 5 or 6.

This is just a sample size of two, so I can’t say anything definitively.

That’s good that yours aren’t taking a “set”. Do you leave them loaded?

As unhelpful as it is, I wonder if an email to Sig would help?

I do agree that any assumptions on normal spring use should be questioned with the P365. It's an entirely different animal.

That’s a fair point. I’ll shoot them an email or make a call (I called them for a shroud for the Romeo Zero a week or so ago and was on hold for 80 minutes, it’s just a busy time of year).

I know P365XL magazines have been pretty scarce so if they decided to send me a replacement I’m not sure they’d have them right away. I’m not sure if you can get just the springs.

I do agree that any assumptions on normal spring use should be questioned with the P365. It's an entirely different animal.

I have not personally experienced the problem WCM describes, at least on the ten and twelve rounders, but why should "normal" spring life be different with the P365? Having said that I'll also say that I'm not so sure on the science that a fully loaded magazine doesn't experience a degree of decay.

I’ve had my 365 for a while, and at first the mag was darn near impossible to load but now it’s fairly easy and no hiccups at all.

Back