P32 Owners--is this normal?

Dundas

Inactive
I picked up a NIB P32 a couple of weeks ago and put a few dozen silvertips through it that afternoon. Accuracy and recoil were better than I expected and there were no failures to feed or extract.
I was completely satisfied until I took a look at the brass on the floor. Every piece I looked at had a bulge on one side about half-way up the side of the case. It was only barely noticable from the reflections on the case but it was there.
I don't know what could have caused this or what it means. There is a small gap on the right side between the back of the chamber and the slide (lockup on the top of the slide/barrel is tight) but that's not where the case is distorted. Could the chamber be deformed somehow? I don't reload, so that's not an issue, and everything seems to work fine, but the idea of a lightweight pistol like this having a kaboom doesn't exactly please me. Is this a dangerous situation, or just a slight annoyance?

Thanks,

-Dundas

We have not noticed this with my wife's P32, maybe you should drop over to http://www.ktog.org and ask the Kel-Tec owners group.

I have never heard of a kaboom in a P32. It's built pretty strong for the relatively weak (compared to a Magnum) .32 round. We use Cor-Bons for defensive ammo, that's about the hottest they make, no problems.

Never heard of a kaboom either in a P-32. Been awhile since I shot my P-32, may have some old brass in my bag, will check for a bulge.

I don't have any expended brass here, at the moment. I don't recall seeing a bulge. Perhaps you should contact Kel-Tec and/or send them a couple of samples of the casings with the bulge to examine.

I would like to hear what they have to say. I'll also search the truck in the morning to see if I can find a few fired casings, if not, I'll take the P32 to the range this weekend and let you know what I find (if my computer continues to work, It's fixing to go out, waiting on a new disk to reinstall from Compaq).

I have seen a similar "bulge" on some brass from my P-32. It depends on the brand ammo used. Some have thinner/weaker brass. I think the P-32 has slightly more clearance in the chamber than other 32's so that could be a factor. This hasn't affected its operation. Enjoy your spit wad.

It's perfectly normal for the P32 to bulge the brass. I see it all the time in the range.

It's not as if anyone reloads .32 acp anyhow.....

Back