P232 quality?

elector

In general, are SIG P232s good-quality, reliable guns nowadays? I figured they were, and bought one. At the range, though, the slide frequently failed to lock back after the last round was fired from either of the original mags, the firing pin indent on the cartridge primers varied in depth (even among cartridges from the same box of ammo), and the primer strike was off-center. Now I'm wondering if this gun is worth keeping, or if maybe I should just trade it away. TIA for any input.

If you have a gun that functions well, why would you question it? OTOH, if you're having problems with it, I'd send it back to Sig, they should make it right. However, if you really want to sell it cheap, send me email. ;)

elector, sorry about the problems with your P232. I can kind of relate--my P232 has had the same malf lately (failure of slide to hold open). My suggestion would be to send the gun to SIG, which is what I'm going to do with mine. Hopefully the problem will be taken care of.

Good luck. :)

Are you using more than one mag?

If so, does it have the same problem with two or more mags?
Mark your mags and see if you have a consistent problem with just one mag; if so, fix or replace it.

As the P230/232 series is a blowback design, ammo selection is important, too. Are you using cartridges with enough "snap" to work the slide hard?

Blowback designs tend to prefer hotter loads.

My advice - don't give up on your SIG...it's an excellent design.

Thanks for the replies.

The slide intermittently failed to lock back with both of the original mags, which I cleaned before firing. I was shooting Gold Dots and PD Hydra-Shoks, and had the malfunction with both.

Back