P229 Extractor Tension

1972RedNeck

Picked up a P229. Get an occasional failure to feed. Everything is clean, smooth, and well lubed. Looks like the extractor is too tight - rim comes up against the extractor and it jams. Little nudge on the slide and it goes.

Any suggestions on how to fix it?

1.Check the bottom of the extractor hook and the channel the rim slides up for rough spots or burrs.

2. Check that its not happening with only 1magazine. If the problem is in the gun, it will happen with all magazines.

3. Replace the recoil spring. You might be amazed at the difference a new one will make.

Does it with all 4 magazines.

My recoil spring is currently twisted wire - looks like those have been discontinued in favor of flat wire springs? Will that be alright?

Last edited:
Flat is fine, that’s what they’re shipping now. Check if the braided has a broken strand.
My original W.Germ P226 had the braided and I’ve since replaced them with flat.
My M11-A1 shipped with flat.

Is SIG’s warranty transferable? If so, I’d sent it to them to fix.

Last few times I talked to SIG customer service I was told the answer to that is no, but that was a while ago. Many times they won’t even ask you if you are the original owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

familiar

I'm pretty familiar with the P229/.40....SIG armorer cert x 3 and had about a 10 under my care when I was working.

-first thing I'd do is remove the extractor, pin and spring and clean the snot out the extractor recess and all 3 parts. There is a knack to removing and reinstalling the extractor and related parts, and it is easy to launch/loose one or all 3 installing or removing same, proceed with caution and understanding

-the advice on the recoil spring is sound, there is a correct way the spring fits on the guide rod......."tight is right". One end of the recoil spring is of a very slight lesser diameter than the other......AND THE TIGHT END GOES OVER THE GUIDE ROD FIRST. One would not think it matters, but it does. Incorrectly installed, it could rob from return velocity of the slide, thus the drag on the extractor

-There is of course the possibility of tired or worn parts. I(recoil spring, extractor, pin, and spring). But many feed issues are resolved with an armorers strip and clean. Be sure and clean your mags as well.

Little update:

I got the new springs installed. Cleaned and lubed everything. Picked up 3 more brands of ammo.

Winchester runs perfect.
PMC runs perfect.
Speer runs almost perfect (see below)
Fiocchi has problems

Can't get pictures uploaded so I will do my best to describe it.

1 in 15ish of the Fiocchi jams. When it jams, it will shave just a little brass off the casing right at the mouth. 1/4 way down from the mouth it also leaves a mark about 1/3 of the way around the casing.

About 1/4 of the spent Fiocchi casings have the remnant of a dent about 1/3 of the way down the casing. These do not have the nicked mouth and the dent is about 1/16" further down than the mark on the jammed cases. The dented casings also have a chewed up rim where the extractor grabbed it, and they are all ejected slightly forward. All the normal casings are farther away and slightly behind me.

One round of Speer also had a dented case and chewed up rim and ejected forward.

Has anyone seen this before? What is it? Obviously I won't buy any more Fiocchi (or Speer) for this pistol, but I would like to fix it if I can.

Did you replace the extractor spring, is the extractor claw/profile GTG?
Is your frame 229-1 and you’re using 229-1/15rd mags?

Nothing wrong with Euro S&B/Men/Fiocchi brass, I actually prefer them as their hotter than usual.
Establish a control ammo/mag. Use ammo and 1 mag where you had 100%.

Back