P220 Finally Followed Me Home

Martowski

Well, on a total whim I stopped by a small pawn shop yesterday evening when I found myself with a few minutes to kill. I didn't expect to find much of anything, you know, the standard couple beat up Mossberg 500s and maybe an overpriced Glock or two. Lo and behold, one of the six pistols they had was a P220... in true "Excellent" condition with the box and at a price that made me wonder if it was a mistake. So, I did what any self-respecting person would do and gave it a new home.

See pics below, it cleaned up pretty well. I've thought about getting one of these over the years but never have, and have always regretted passing a nice one up about 10 years ago. I've already ordered an E2 grip kit and Wolff main spring kit for it, as well as an extra mag. This specific one was made right around 1997, which is kind of cool because that's the year my wife and I were married.

Anyway, looking forward to getting this out to the range at some point.

20210126-073642.jpg

20210126-073713.jpg

Very nice; I have a late nineties P220, too, purchased last year LNIB. Sweet pistol. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great shape! No appreciable wear that I can see...a good duty sized piece in a caliber you don't have to "explain"....Mine's been as accurate as some favored 1911's and the Sig has been a favorite for 25 yrs. Rod

Howdy Martowski,

I've carried an H&K USP .45 ACP. It was an excellent handgun. In my opinion, the P220 is the better gun.

I own a couple Sigs. I'm a 1911-A aficionado. If I weren't a 1911-A1 aficionado, I'd be all over the P220. My son owns a P220. It has been flawless. It fires every version of .45 ACP cartridge. It's accuracy is unbelievable.

My guess is your P220 will become your primary everything handgun. It might make its way to the top of your most reliable handgun list.

I hope it brings many years of shooting fun to you.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm very happy to have a P220 finally. I've been a 1911 guy for the most part when it comes to .45 ACP, but this will be a great addition to the stable.

hello Martowski, That is a very nice example. I'm a long time fan and bought my first new 220 about '91, IIRC. Had several since, standard, match, all stainless, and currently a '95 production 9MM. Within my humble experience, just fine reliable pistols. Enjoy yours.

May I ask how good of a price it was? Just curious at what point should the gun “follow me home” at the risk of my wife shooting me with it.

It was love at first sight with me when I saw my first one in 1980, then known as a Browning BDA. Belonged to the father of an old roommate and my roommate “borrowed” it for long term use. Finally got around to acquiring one about 10 years ago which is also a 1997 German gun. Have to say that gun is the most accurate da auto I possess.

For those who are curious, the price tag on this was $419. There was no way I wasn't buying this at that price! I am sure it would not have lasted another 24 hours.

By the way, I appreciate that some of the people commenting are names I have seen on TFL off and on over the past 20 years. I actually started on TFL around 1998 or 1999, but early on forgot my original username. I started posting on here as a young man a few years out of college and am still here, but now as a middle aged father of three! :)

Excellent decision and opportunity :cool:. Imagine what that gun's Original seller accepted as payment for this gun (from the pawn shop)-----wow.

Congrats, but also on the three kids!:)

Will the 220 be a carry, or mostly range/river etc gun?

Nice!

That indeed was a great price, especially considering today's market.

My agency went to the P-series SIGS about 1990, and 220, 225, 226, 228, 229 and the P230 as a backup and off duty, were authorized. Everybody transitioned from revolvers with the P228/9mm. Later there was a one time career choice of the other models. Old school guys like me picked the P220-.45, high speed low drag younger folks went with some version of the .40/ P226 or P229, not too many stayed with the 9mm P228's, or it's bigger brother the P226.

They were all exceptionally reliable pistols. I never did a great deal of bench testing with them, but my P220 always seemed more accurate than I was. As soon as I had the cash, I acquired a personally owned P220, and still have it. I had to give the agency pistol back! Interestingly, the agency is abandoning the DA P-series in favor of the new, modular P320, and all new staff gets 9mm as issue, though other cals are acceptable as private purchase.

Your pics show very little if any wear, I'm certain it will be a good pistol and you will not regret your purchase.

Yes, I can't imagine what they person who pawned this got for the P220. Maybe $250 or $300? The guy at the pawn shop said the lady who pawned it actually stopped in at one point and said she had forgot about bringing it there. Again, I was pretty surprised to see it there... most pawn shops around me seem over priced.

Hellofa price...get all the mags you can find....It's a great duty sized gun that's not all that difficult to conceal if you dress around the gun. I'm an OWB at 4 o'clock position guy and have no trouble with shirt tail/jacket concealment. Best of luck with your 220. Rod

Thanks Rod. I'm picking up some ACT mags. Seem reasonably priced and people seem to indicate they work pretty well. I think I've been using some of that same brand in some of my 1911s as well.

For those who are curious, the price tag on this was $419. There was no way I wasn't buying this at that price! I am sure it would not have lasted another 24 hours.

Nice grab. A few years back I was at a gun store and they had a nice (not as nice as your pictures but still quite good) SIG P228 for right around $400. A buddy of mine had been looking for one so I called him and he ended u buying it. I’d be lying if I said sometimes I wish I hadn’t been a bit greedier. Anyway, enjoy in good health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a P220 this Spring and so far put about 500-600 rds through it.
All those rounds have been with ACT mags, they've been flawless, so I bought 15.
A SRT kit, gray gun dual adjustable trigger, and an Armory craft hammer turned that P220 into a darn fine fighting pistol with an awesome trigger!

Back