+P+, will it damage your firearm?

Wildcard

I have a Beretta 92fs. I came across a box of 115gr +p+ at a gun show. Will this damage my Beretta in any way if i have to use this. I dont plan on plinking at the range with this, except to shoot a few to see how it feeds and all. Just didnt want to damage a good firearm..

If your weapon is in good working condition, you shouldn't run into any problems. After pro-longed use of high pressure ammunition, it could cause damage to your weapon.
I would look at the owners manual and check to see if they state anything about using +p/+p+ ammo. Some gun manufacturers do not recommend you using high pressure ammo, and it could void the warranty.

Semper Fi-
JJC

I would think a Beretta 92 can handle it fine, since it is rated for NATO ammo which tends to be pretty hot compared to the average range fodder found in American stores. Frequent use of it will accelerate wear, though.

Since +P+ is anything ABOVE SAAMI +P, you don't really know what you're shooting. There is no official "standard" of what +P+ is. With that said, I'd avoid use of any +P+ unless there is a very special reason. If you need that much more power, buy a .40 or .45.

Personally, I would only shoot ammunition as specifically approved by the manufacturer of a firearm. Otherwise, to me, it's not worth putting my guns at risk of accelerated wear or damage.

[Edited by jimmy on 02-20-2001 at 05:45 AM]

I think Will is right...after all, we've all heard the Navy SEAL saying, "You're not a SEAL if you haven't tasted Italian steel." That's in reference to the slides flying off the frame after shooting lots of +P+ stuff.

+P+ ammo is above SAAMI specs, and was made ONLY for use by law enforcement. SAAMI will not release any specs or even admit there is such a thing. No maker will rate a revolver or pistol for +P+ because they don't even recognize it as being on the market. +P+ .38 Special ammo was to be used only in revolvers made for the .357 Magnum; it is essentially a .357 in a .38 case.

I can almost guarantee that any extended use of 9mm +P+ in any 9mm pistol will harm the gun. Any extended use of +P+ .38 in any .38 Special revolver will harm the gun. Older .38's might come apart with the very first .38 Special +P+.

Jim

If I'm correct, Glocks can handle +p+ ammo on a fairly regular basis, but I would check with one of the boys at Glock HQ first.

I personally have boxes of the Law Enforcement Only Winchester 115 gr. +p+ and Ranger SXT 127gr +p+, and have fired both through my G19. I'm not really worried about it. I'm pretty sure the gun can handle it no problem, but I'm still gonna' give Glock a call soon.

The Glock can definitely handle higher pressures than the Beretta can. There is no comparison. Don't forget that the Glock also has a polymer frame that soaks up much of the recoil by flexing. Aluminum-framed guns take much more of a pounding.

Back