+p Snubby?

Just looking over my 442 last night...it's only a few years old but doesn't say +P on the barrel like some others do...I looked at the manual and under ammo, it recommends +P not be used on any K frame Smith prior to 1958..no other mention of it in any guns....are all smith snubbies =P rated then? I don't shoot 'em, only carry, but just curious....

I asked the S&W rep and custom shop gunsmith doing the free tune-ups at a local shop about the 442 and plus-p ammo.

If it is marked 442-1 it is safe to use plus-p ammo. But it will wear the gun out faster.

And no, I didn't buy a S&W, but I did sell them one :)

John

I don't know about the 442, but there is a date after which (mid-1996 IIRC) the similar 642's began to be rated for +P. Call the manufacturer's customer service dept.

I know that my titanium S&W is +p rated, and my model 60 is actually a .357. With the new scandiums, I wonder why you'd mess with anything else (price and politics aside).

I bought a new Model 36 (blued steel) in 1999------i had some of the same questions-----I e-mailed them off their website and included the serial number-----the return e-mail stated my gun was made in 1994 and that it was safe to use +p ammo in my gun------you might want to do the same.

i called them...mine was made in 2001...i didn't know the 442-1 designation was on the crane....they told me they started using a different forging process for +p in 1993 so you were lucky you just made it with your 36...good for you...

Back