P.O. Ackley books and Powley computer

Rusty S

Does anyone remember the Powley computer? ( Hint - it was a slide rule. )

And how many others mispent their teen years drooling over Volumes 1 & 2 of P.O. Ackley's books on wildcatters - my dad owned a 22/243 Ackley. Mashburn, Page, Whelan, Ackley and his "improved"...

I bought a Powley computer. Never did figure out how the heck to work it. Also both Ackley volumes. Concluded that Ackley "magic" was more powder and high pressures. No magic there.

Jim

Ever meet Frank C. Barnes ( 458 X 2" American )author of the DBI Cartridges of the World? He taught in the Crim Dept at Univ. Nevada Reno while I was going there.

BTW, I most likely have my Powley computer in a box in the garage. And I still want a long action ( make that 2 ) for an a) 300 H&H,
b) a 350 Griffin and Howe. Had an 03A3 rebored by Atkinson to 35 Brown-Whelan at one time, but it never got completed ( it was a joint project with my dad who got cancer ).

Yeah, it *was* a hell of a way to spend my youth. Edgar Rice Burroughs and Barsoom, Elmer Keith and Sixguns, and Robert Ruark. And a dad crazy enough about guns to own about half of what I have now. Girls and cars, too, and booze when we could get someone to buy it for us. And Robert Heinlein.

Back