+p loads in Hi Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernest T. Bass

Any problems firing +p loads in the Hi Power. I have read some authors who said that it was not strong enough to handle the added pressure, and others who have said no problem. Would like to know the real scoop. Thanks.

Ernest T. Bass

Greetings, sir. Bill Laughridge of Cylinder and Slide advises against +P in the 9mm HP while Kurt Wickman, who is on his own afte working for Novak's, says it's OK. I've owned and shot HPs for nearly 3 decades now.
Today's steels are better and that said, I've never had any problems shooting "hot" handloads in my '70s vintage HPs nor my new MkIIIs. I do routinely replace the factory recoil spring with a Wolff conventional 18.5 recoil spring as I do shot warmer loads much of the time. This spring also allows the use of standard pressure loads with no problems in my experience. No doubt that the warmer loads will accelerate wear. Best.

The BHP works fine with NATO spec ammo, and lots of that is loaded to pressures that are the same as SAAMI +P, +P+ (over 37,500 psi).

It will accelerate wear over std pressure SAAMI stuff (less than 35,000 psi).

All the MkIII frames got better heat treat when the 40s came out. You can tell by the fine lines on the bottom of the grip by the magwell. Smooth is the older pre 40 mod frames.

Even a steady diet of +P amo should see about 40-50,000 rounds through the gun.

I've heard of people claiming over a 100,000 with std pressure stuff before you break/wear out a major part (slide/frame/barrel).

------------------
>>>>---->

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back