+p loads in 9mm???

Cyric13

I was wondering if it was OK to shoot +p loads in my FEG Hi-Power clone? Won't be doing this all the time but I need to check/test a good carry/defensive round for it. Also who makes good defensive loads and what FMJ loads have the same/similar point of impact? So practice and carry loads are alike/similar.

Thanks Cyric

I have an arcus 94 9mm also a high power clone. The manual states it is not rated for +p and a friend of mine has a feg 9mm, and I believe he said that it was not rated for +p either. that being said I have fired 40 or so rounds of +p 115gr hp through mine with no trouble whatsoever. You will have to make that choice on your own. cole distributing has some imi 9mm+p nato rounds for around 9-10 bucks a box. not bad.

SAAMI std ammo is 35,000 psi. Up to 38,500 is +P. US mil-spec M882 is 36,250. Most NATO ammo is around 38,500 or hotter (some is lower).

BHPs seem to last a lot longer if ya stick to stuff below 35,000. A lot of +P stuff and they can break under 40,000 rounds. Have seen two break at 14,000 that were fed lottsa very hot stuff (+P+). British mil-spec is pretty hot, saw plenty of broken BHPs in their armory when I was stationed in Europe in the late 70s early 80s.

I have never really thought the difference between std and +P 9mm ammo was worth the trouble to fnd practice ammo to match. Unless I needed hot FMJ for barrier penetration, I would shoot the cheap stuff and carry hot and not worry about it. I did/do, works for me.

What Broken Arrow said. Most modern pistols in good shape will handle the occasional mag or two of +P just fine, but a steady diet of it will definitely accelerate wear. A box or two as a function check probably won't make much difference, but like BA said, practice with the normal pressure stuff, carry the +P for defense.

Plan B, contact Wolffe Gunsprings [http://www.gunsprings.com/] and get a recommendation on a stiffer recoil spring & replace the stock spring. That should slow down wear & tear some if you're going to shoot a bunch of +P regularly (be sure and test the new spring with std. pressure ammo to make sure you that it functions OK, too - you could end up with a weapon that only likes the hi-protein stuff). Good luck.
M2

Back