+P+ ammo in a older 226

recon1

I have a older Sig 226 (1990). I've looked in the owner's manual several times about about +P and +P+ ammo. There is no mention about this ammo in the manual. Does anyone have any experience shooting this type of ammo out of thier Sig? I would especially interested in the safety of using this ammo out of a older Sig.

Well, I've owned my P226 for over 11 years. Purchased it new at the "prime" of the wonder-nine era (I think :)). Honestly, I lost count of how many rounds I put through her. But I shoot AT LEAST once a month and put AT LEAST 50rds through every gun. With those figures alone it has AT LEAST 6600rds rounds though it (a very low-ball figure). I can honestly say I haven't had ANY breakage or problems with the gun, just mags (springs). I know you asked about +P+ ammo, but I haven't shot alot (who could???). I have put alot of "hot" loads, +P loads, & Corbon / Triton stuff (hot). Unless your a LEO, +P+ stuff is restrictive, around here at least. And, don't worry about "cracked frame" stories. It's just like anything else: Beretta "slides cracking", Glock 40s "KBs", etc :rolleyes:. Enjoy your SIG, I have. I'll never part with mine. :D

recon1- Personally, I think a lot more of my precious Sig's
than to implement the use of +P+ ammo, in any of them!!!:D
I think it would be OK, with a limited number of these "hot"
rounds.:) I tend to stay within the parameter's of the famed
9m/m "Secret Service" load.:eek::rolleyes: You will find that this round will do an excellent job stopping the perp;
and save "wear and tear" on your weapon.:) I tend to believe
that this load is a standard Federal Hydra-Shok round?:p

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Recon1, The Sig is a strong pistol and has no problem digesting +p or +p+ ammo. That said, that type of ammo is harder on the gun and I wouldn't feed my Sig a steady dose of the high pressure stuff. There are a lot of good (effective) rounds out there that aren't +p.

If the frame does crack, the pistol will continue to function just fine (this from personal experience), and Sig has been very good about replacing these pistols.

Back