P-32 Fails To Go Into Battery

Sarge55

Just got myself a new Kel-Tec P-32. Had it down the range a couple of days ago, and ended up somewhat disappointed. The pistol fails to lock into battery (about 1/16") 6 out of 8 rounds. A slight push forward on the slide gets it back into working order. It looks like the breechface is a little rough and could use some polishing. Doing this work myself will probably void the Lifetime Warranty, but I find it hard to justify paying an additional $30.00 (shipping) to send the pistol back to the factory. Any other suggestions? Many thanks in advance!

Sarge, there could be a couple of different reasons for this happening. The most common are: 1)Bulged or too long a cartridge; 2)Dirt or foreign object in chamber; 3)Barrel not fitted correctly. Check your chamber for factory grease that may be hiding there. If you aren't using reloads then you pistol may have a short chamber but I doubt that because it's so easy to push it closed. The barrel lock up may just need to be broke in. I'd put 3 or 4 hundred rounds through it and then see if the problem persists. If it does, you have two choices if you want to keep the pistol: take it to your local smith or send it to the factory. George

Some of the early guns had a problem with the slide dragging on the mag. Not sure with what serial # they corrected this. Anytime I had to return a gun to the manufacturer I had them arrange for the UPS pickup. Why should you pay the UPS fee for their problem.

You should do the standard fluff and buff as documented on the KelTec users page. KelTec users are notorious for doing the changes and KelTec is famous for fixing it if needed w/o qustioning your lifetime warranty. You need to at least polish the slide rails (not the aluminum frame rails), the top of the hammer/bottom of the slide contact areas, the bbl exterior. Be sure to use a good grease on the mentioned parts. Friction is probably the culprit and maybe just shooting a couple hundred rounds through it will do it, but the polishing usually does it NOW. Good luck, Jim

Thanks all for the feedback. Contacted Kel-Tec yesterday and spoke with one of their "smiths". He's sending me a new slide and barrel. We'll see what happens.

Back