Owners of the "arm brace" will enjoy reading this....

I don't remember anyone arrested for it, much less imprisoned. I think it was pretty much a non issue for ATFE, especially now with the change of "upper management".

Very vague.
Mine will stay where it is for now: On a malformed Amazon rifle buffer tube of a "childless father" lower, that's currently attached to an experimental upper that's likely to only end up replacing the missing (sold) dedicated golf ball launcher upper. (Bubba accidentally drilled too deep when removing a gas block set screw, and I "plugged" the extra hole in the barrel by installing a gas block backwards. :D)

"not necessarily", "incidental, sporadic or situational"

I work for the gooberment, and know better than to trust em. Especially when if the full context of the question asked/answer given is not available.

I work for the gooberment, and know better than to trust em. Especially when if the full context of the question asked/answer given is not available.

Maybe this statement means they won't beat you up for "shouldering" UNLESS they just feel like it.

Zeke spaketh:

Notice how the sentiment changed sometime around Jan 20 of this year toward a 'more common sense' definition?
While I welcome the 'common sense' in a government pronouncement, I'm also (as a former bureaucrat) astute enough :) to realize this is a pendulum: Maybe it's going to continue to move in the 'right direction', but it also could could retrace back further into the 'wrong' direction than we saw a few years ago.

The goobernent's mood swings like Tarzan.
I won't shoulder a pistol even if the ATF chief says it's ok. I mainly use a brace to help it get along with the rifles in the safe and it helps balance the firearm a little bit.

Maybe they'll disband all these government law enforcement agencies. Why do we need more than one anyway?

There's still too many "ifs and buts" in their statements, left themselves room to go back the other way at any time. :cool:

Still happy I paid for the form 1s for my SBRs.

Yes, so putting a vertical fore-grip on an AR15 pistol should be OK as well (takes no more effort or re-design than putting a "blade" on a buffer tube)... but under the current rules it's not OK.

Their positions on those two items are too contradictory to trust this is the final word, for me.

Goobermental guidances and directives are fancy way of saying we made the crap up. Test it, and hire a lawyer to get back to plain English of the actual law or allow a judge to interpret.

This is only an "OPINION" letter. It can change at a moment's notice and past "opinions" hold no weight. I wouldn't suggest trotting down to the local range where all the cops go to loaf and "shoulder the brace" just to see what happens.

Most LEO I run into at the rage or gun shop are very cool, and many enjoy marksmanship practice and firearms as much as the rest of us.

Prior to the new letter and even now I am more wary of the know it all, nosy range lizard, who paces around like some Cub Scout den leader. I always keep a low profile and intend to keep it that way regardless of the latest opinion letter.

over-priced item?

My guess is this has a lot more to do with the proving/prosecuting the concept of "redesign" lying with an action magically transforming the use of the equipment and designation of the classification--rather than a "common sense acceptance" of the design itself.

I wonder if "common sense" will be encompassed by a reduction in prices in what is otherwise a ridiculously over-priced slimmed-down buttstock?

I read the actual letter--many people have interpreted it as "SB" specific--mostly SB itself and I think that is complete horse paddies--they cannot make an exception for just one company.

My take-away from the whole mumbo jombo-ese is simply this: if you retain your pistol in a configuration that still functionally retains the purpose of an assitive arm-brace--you're good--whether or not you "incidentally" use the brace on your shoulder. I further interpret the meaning to basically say that if you fix the brace such that it is essentially a longer (they specifically use the words at the end of the buffer tube) fixed stock equivalent to say an a2 rifle stock--then you have fashioned an SBR.

Interesting that this is not expressed in inches--which I assume leaves room for interpretation.

Bottom line for me--as long as my pistol configuration brace actually can be fitted to my arm as intended while shooting, I can shoulder-brace it as well without fear of going to the slammer.

That's just what I think, I'm not a legal expert.

Back