Owb Holster for 686 4in

Gulfcowboy

I finally broke down and bought a 4in s&w 686. Now I need a good leather outside the waistband holster. I was thinking about a simply rugged holster. Let me know what holster you like, and what works for you. Thanks for any input given.

Simply Rugged is an excellent choice. Their pancake holster holds a reviolver nice and tight against the body.

Greg

El Paso Saddlery makes 1st rate holsters, along with belts etc. They're not cheap, but the quality is a life time deal. I've got one, the "Austin" model for a 4" Colt Diamondback that I've had for well over 25 years now. It's an open top, OWB that rides high on the belt. For a 4" bbl'd revolver, it allows me to sit on any modern conveyance: tractor, 4x4, zero turn mower, two cars and a truck.

But more important, it makes the draw easy from that height of carry. The gun/holster fit is important. Too tight and you hinder the draw (my #1 objection to pancake types), too loose and the gun flops around. El Paso's "Austin" model comes with a keeper strap that in CC use, is tucked under the belt, out of the way. Here on our farm, I only use it when mounted on horseback.

My son has a "1920 Tom Three Persons" for his 4" S&W M66 which he likes a lot. Both he and I make our own holsters and that is the design we generally like. Both, have the belt flap right at the revolver's recoil shield, allowing a high carry position with just a bit of cant to allow easy hand placement during the draw movement. I wear mine at 3:30-4:00 o'clock and this works well for me...both in movement and when seated. Pics below are our versions of the Tom Three Persons types as offered by El Paso Saddlery. Both K frame Smiths: Tan = M18 .22 LR & Black = M66 .357. We fit ours tight enough to negate the need for a strap or thong.

But keep in mind that with any pistol or revolver, if you intend to carry using your pants belt, you need a stout belt to carry the weight without sag...a big item so don't scrimp on the gun belt.

YMMv, but I doubt you can find better quality than El Paso Saddlery. Rod

Last edited:
I use a Black Hills Leather BH55 4.25 for my 4" .41 magnum and dearly love it. Holds gun nice and high so never poking into seats and stuff, also conceals well, and keeps the butt close to my spare-tire torso, and has a nice forward cant for my preferred 4 o'clock position. Don't know if you can still get one exactly like this, I have had this one for over a decade.
attachment.php

https://blackhillsleather.com/

Rudy Lozano is the greatest. He custom made this cowboy action gun belt for me with no cartridge loops and custom made the holster to hold the gun in a strong forward cant (doesn't show up well in the pic) and made the cartridge pouch. I made the knife sheath from scratch and did all of the rawhide lacing work.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0466.JPG
    IMG_0466.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 5,652
Last edited:
Back