Overcome by 1886 temptation.

Straitshot

At my age I don’t go by the gun shops very often simply because I don’t want to be tempted to buy something I don’t really need. Although I have everything I will ever need I could still be tempted beyond my ability to resist. I say this because a friend and I stopped by one of the local gun shops a few weeks back and I saw a rifle that really caught my fancy. I am a sucker for old west stuff and they had a Winchester 1886 that I took a likin’ to. Over the past couple of weeks that rifle has stuck in my mind.

The wife and I went to the Sweetwater Rattle Snake Roundup today. Not really for the snakes but because the wife likes to go to the huge arts and grafts fair they always have, I go for the gun and knife show, and we both enjoy the food venders. Me going to the gun and knife show only reinvigorated my interest in the 1886 rifle I had seen several days before. The photo is proof positive that I finally came to my senses and realized I really needed that rifle.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC02581-3.JPG
    DSC02581-3.JPG
    241.3 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Not that I'm telling you anything you don't already know, but that is a beautiful rifle. I'm sure you are proud to own it. The color case hardening and nice wood grain really set that gun off.

It couldn't be nicer looking-and I don't care how rudely that curved butt plate is going to treat your shoulder. Gorgeous rifle Straitshot for sure.

NoSecondBest, No it isn't a Pedersoli. It is a limited edition Winchester, made by Miroku. They are outstanding rifles. I have a Browning carbine, grade1 rifle also made by Miroku that I have owned for a number of years. Hope this new Winchester performs as well as the Browning. Hopefully I will know the end of this week.

dgludwig, The curved butt plate is fine if you shoulder it properly and keep the loads reasonable. Also best shooting off hand and not always on a bench. I am also planning to see if I can find a lace on leather cover that will help some. The Winchester, though being the short rifle (24" barrel instead of 26") is heavier than my Browning carbine.

Here is a photo of the Winchester and the Browning carbine for comparison.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC02583-1.JPG
    DSC02583-1.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Straitshot, one of my favorite rifles is a Winchester Model 1886 "Extra Light Weight" Miroku repo rifle, chambered in .45-70. I've had several Miroku firearms over the years and can say without any equivocation, nobody makes a better gun for the price.

dgludwig,

I had an opportunity a number of year back to purchase one of the new 1886 Extra light weight rifles in very good condition for around $600 if I remember correctly. At the time I did not realize the terrific opportunity that it was. I regret my lack of knowledge concerning it to this day.

I have a Winchester / Miroku 1873 and a 1885 low wall. The finish on both is superb. They have close tolerances and are very well made. Nice wood too. Both are very accurate. The turn heads every time I take them to the range.

jiggy300, i also have a 1886 in 40-82 made in 1893 in very good condition with a ex bore, i have killed deer with it. its just very heavy to lug around much, so use it on stand waiting for the deer to come close enough to shoot. eastbank.

eastbank, I stopped shooting mine a year ago, I had a case split in half on me and got stuck in the barrel. The cases were reloaded to many times so I'm not gonna try the old ones anymore till I get new cases and reload again.

Thanks for the kind remarks. I was just so pleased with this purchase and the looks of the rifle I just wanted to share it.

Like many of you I really enjoy these old big bore rifles whether they are repeaters or single shots. It is great that their popularity has brought back availability to reloading products.

Wow, what a beautiful rifle. Some guns just have a certain look to them and when you see them you know they are going home with you.

I apologize, the photos were there.

Photobucket is crazy these days and has become very unreliable. I suppose because they now want you to pay to join instead of it being free like it has been for years.

I will do it a different way. The photos will not show unless you click on the link.

Again, I apologize.

Last edited:
Back