Oven discharge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanney1

A lady I work with told a story about when she first received her CC Permit. She owned a revolver that her brother had given her. She took it with her on a trip after receiving her CCP. Being new to guns, and afraid it could be stolen, she decided to hide the weapon in the house she was staying. So, she hid the gun in the back of the oven for safekeeping.

She forgot about the gun and decided to cook chicken in the oven. She said the gun fired 6 times and when she removed the gun it was black. We pieced together that one fired through the barrel, and the four exposed chambers discharged, and the round on the bottom fired into the frame of the gun.

However, by the time she finished I wasn't sure if she was trying to tell a really long joke or if it really happened.

Might happen. Kind of doubt the powder or primers would, um, cook off at just 350 F for an hour though. Ammo will go bang if you inadvertently throw it in a fireplace though. Couple minutes for .22 LR.
Sounds like she really doesn't know what she's doing with any firearm. No mandatory CCW safety/handling courses where you are?

General safety is covered in the class, but no separate safety class is required. Again, she told the story in a long, roundabout way, and she was being asked questions as well. Her normal speaking pattern is a bit odd and she kind of made light of it at the end. So, I wondered if it was all a joke that was poorly delivered. Everyone kind of looked at each other, but no one asked if she was serious.

If it was ACTUALLY IN the oven, and she was cooking at a higher temp (450) I would find it believable. More believable than someone actually put a firearm IN the oven. Why on earth would she do that!?!?!?

Here is a true, take-it-to-the-bank story.
A friend owns a pawn shop. One of his customers bought a Keltec P-11. Hid it in the oven and forgot about it. The story was that the oven was being preheated for pizza-might have been lasagna or chicken, it doesn't matter.
Suffice to say that several of the rounds in the magazine cooked off. The grip frame, being plastic was already soft from the heat. Blew the plastic grip frame open, distorted the magazine. I don't remember if a round was chambered or not. If one was, it discharged. The gun was a complete mess. I bought it from him. I ordered a new grip frame, magazine, and all the springs and rebuilt the gun. My daughter has it now.
I had pictures of the gun as bought, but they are long gone. I do still have the grip frame and probably the magazine.

Great story Bill! Someone had cold leftovers for dinner!

The moral of the story, don't store your loaded gun in the oven.

Hey, what about the fireplace? :D

2iaxj3I.jpg

Anything is possible. I hid a pistol in a freezer once when I went to visit a friend. Thing came out a few hours later with a thin layer of frost all over. I ended up having to completely clean it to prevent rust.

While in college my roommate and I decided, with help from Jack or Jim or possibly both, to annoy our annoying third roommate by putting a .308 blank in the oven. (The 3rd guy liked baking cookies.) Well, we forgot thanks to Jack and/or Jim and turned on the oven to bake a pizza. When the round cooked off (literally, right) it blew the oven door open and sent pieces of brass into the cabinetry on the opposite side of the apartment kitchen. I am amazed the oven continued to function afterwards. Success, though: the guy was annoyed by the damage to his beloved baking area.

Moral of the story: don't mix ovens and ammunition (and booze).

Follow-up: I spoke to someone else who was in the room when the oven discharge story was told. I asked if she was telling a joke or if it was a true story. He told me she was not joking, and that it did happen.

This just goes to show that whenever anyone gets what they think is a great idea, they ought to stop and seriously consider what could possibly go wrong. People that do so habitually, rarely have accidents. Those that don't think like that are accident-prone. In retrospect, hiding a gun in the oven is clearly stupid; yet at the time, it seemed like a good idea: Who would look for a hidden gun in the oven, of all places, right? Hindsight is 20/20. The freezer is not a good idea either,..... unless your only alternative is the oven!;)
People do the darndest things...:rolleyes:

I like to hide my guns in cereal boxes, Bang-Os especially... But seriously, thanks for the humorous stories everyone.

No mandatory CCW safety/handling courses where you are?

I don't know of any place in the USA where that is the case.

Anytime one of the kids would drop 22 rimfire rounds in a camp fire they would pop harmlessly within seconds.

The bottom line is - don't store your gun or ammo anyplace where it can be damaged or exposed to extreme heat.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back