Outdoor shotgun safety tips.

Battler

It's hard where I live to shoot anywhere where they let you shoot shotgun (without slugs).

I was going to take my 18" Win 1300 to this range outside of town.

They have an outdoor area with a skeet/trap/whatever launcher, and LOTS of shells lying on the ground. They said I can prop up a box and attach targets to it for patterning my shotgun.

Is there anything I should worry about when shooting near the ground? Or at a gentle sloping backstop? I don't want any ricochets.

I won't be messing with the launcher, as I'm not real interested in shooting into the air.

How far away should I set the target? What else should I worry about? I don't get to shoot outdoors much, and would like all the safety tips I can get.

thanks,
Battler.

The usual rules apply here,Battler. Load only when shooting, keeep it pointed downrange, keep your finger out of the trigger guard and off the trigger until ready to fire.

The distance for patterning depends on the mission. For HD,I'd measure the distance of the longest possible shot in your home, add one yard for GPs, and pattern at that distance.

For upland game, 30-35 yards oughta do it, for woodcock, grouse,etc, close range, small shot stuff, I'd do it at 25.

Back