Out of State Sale? What FFL Paperwork is Involved?

DEC

I am in the process of selling a handgun out of state. I am currently waiting for the FFL of the other guy to reach my FFL. My FFL is charging $20 and the other FFL is charging $40. My question is this: what paperwork is involved on each end? Since I am the one selling the handgun, do I even need to involve my FFL? I am using a FFL on my end just to be safe, but is it really necessary? BTW, why are some FFLs so paranoid? They wouldn't even let the guy buying the gun send the FFl with his money order and insisted on sending it themselves. This is okay, but I received the MO a week and a half ago and still haven't received the FFL. He is sending it again, but it hasn't been an easy process. As a matter of fact, I don't think I would ever do this again. TIA

Whoa, wait a minute- YOU dont need an FFL for the transaction, HE does. The law says the owner can ship to an FFL, and the FFL can ship directly to the owner. This is why you can send a broken gun back to the manufacturer or to an out of state gunsmith for service. Since you own it, you ship to HIS FFL (you dont need to have an FFL ship it for you) and then his FFL transfers ownership to him.

First of all, $40 for a simple transfer is highway robbery. The average cost in a transfer like this is about $10. Go to http://www.gunsamerica.com/transfer.cgi and you can find an FFL in his area that will do it cheaper. The reason his FFL doesnt want him to send it is because he (the guy buying your gun) could take that FFL and purchase guns with it, as an "agent" of the FFL. It's done all the time. I've sold several guns like you are, and I've never had a problem. Sounds like this guy's FFL is a bozo. Find him another at the site I listed.

BB

[This message has been edited by BB (edited January 12, 2000).]

I won't sell another handgun out of state.
The fees and shipping costs make it prohibitively expensive.
You (a non-licensee) can send a pistol to another FFL, but it will have to go UPS or FEDEX, and the shipping costs will be close to $50.00.

nobody: I think your shipping costs are high. Using UPS and FedEx websites, I estimated the shipping costs to be about $25-30. That is still high considering it used to cost about $8-10 to send UPS Ground.

I Fedexed a Sig 228 from Virginia to New Hampshire on Monday and the cost, including insurance was $59.00.

Yea, I am in the process of purchasing a pistol over the internet. It has been a real pain in the A** !!

BB: I agree $40 is highway robbery!

DEC: I will never do it again either. ;)

------------------
Give me liberty or give me death !!

Stay alive, shoot a .45 !!

Back