Out of State Private Party C&R Sale to FFL03

Dabull

I've only purchased C&Rs from AIM and SOG so far. How does an FFL03 holder receive a C&R pistol from a private party of another state? I know I can receive it, but can the private party UPS it to me as an FFL03 holder?

Yes, that's how it's done. You send them a copy of your C&R, then they ship you the gun (any form but US Postal Service). The law allows a person to ship a gun to (i) themselves or (ii) a properly licensed FFL (i.e., the right type for the gun to be shipped).

Last edited:
USPS is ok for C&R Rifles I think.

Pistols, I believe have to be overnighted. Someone will correct me real soon if I am mistaken.

USPS is ok for C&R Rifles I think.

Pistols, I believe have to be overnighted. Someone will correct me real soon if I am mistaken.
Long guns (rifles and shotguns) can be shipped via USPS, C&R or not, as long as they are unloaded and there is no ammo in the package; US postal regulations ban the shipment of ammunition under all circumstances.

US postal regulations prohibit private individuals and "licensed collectors" (i.e. 03 FFLs) from shipping handguns, regardless of destination, except for handguns that are legal antiques (which is another topic unto itself). Since the USPS can't be used, that leaves the common carriers- UPS and FedEx- as the only practical handgun shipment option for most individuals and C&R licensees, other than doing a normal dealer transfer.

Back